Electric Choke Hookup

brotherGood

Reaction score
I've got the summit 600 cfm carb..had been bypassing the electric choke because I couldn't get it to work. well, it's opened up another bag of worms not having it, so I'm gonna try and get it working. where can I hook it up? I'm ruling out the generic answer of keyed 12v source, as well as the oil pressure switch..the first is rather vague, and the second I no longer have.

Someone had mentioned to me the blue field wire on the alternator, but I've waited almost a week for verification and got nothing..so I figure I'll ask elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Do you have the diagnostic port on the driver side in the engine bay?

The dark blue wire is switched with the key and makes for a good electric choke source

brotherGood

Reaction score
Just to clarify..this blue wire right?

I don't have the diagnostic plug...the older aspen I parted did, and the 89 ram I had did..but this doesnt.

20161114_180102.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
Just to clarify..this blue wire right?

I don't have the diagnostic plug...the older aspen I parted did, and the 89 ram I had did..but this doesnt.
No. If your car had the port, it was an easy grab. Back to the think cap.

You don't want to grab the return circuit for the Alt field wires (the smaller two wires on the back of the alt)

Don't use the ballast wires either.

When I ran my e choke, I had enough wire to get through the firewall and tab into the fuse block. With a test light I found a fuse that was only "hot" with the key on

brotherGood

Reaction score
Aw crap. Guess I should've kept waiting.

Do you remember what fuse spot you went into? I can just pick up more wire and do it that way..

slant6billy

Reaction score
Aw crap. Guess I should've kept waiting.

Do you remember what fuse spot you went into? I can just pick up more wire and do it that way..
I don't remember w/o looking, but to be safe, you would be more sure with a test light. The fuses are the glass type. top row and bottom row. The way it works to be "fused protected" is to go off the top of the top row of fuses or bottom of the bottom row of fuses. Meaning the middle is the source voltage. With the key off check for no voltage, then with the key on check for voltage. My dad had found the buzzer circuit somehow for his e choke voltage source on his 5th. I could never get it to work right so I went off another. The fuse layout could vary year to year and it does

brotherGood

Reaction score
Ok lll check it out. my car doesn't have the glass fuses..but it's still the fuse box, so it should work

Back