EMISSION EXEMPT

CM360

Reaction score
I came across a clip of either a Dodge or Plymouth and the radiator support had a sticker from Chrysler that said US Military Vehicle Emission Exempt. Common back in the 80's?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've always wondered why the military doesn't have to follow the same EPA regulations as everyone else, from cars and trucks to jets and ships.
Kind of like WI. We have to have a front license plate by law but,,,,,,,,,state owned cars only have a rear plate. Go figure.:confused:

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Maybe under the former President they started smogging B1 bombers and Abrams tanks and using lead free munitions ! One thing I have learned is that about 250,000 Chrysler M body cars were built by AMC in Kenosha Wi for Chrysler right before they acquired AMC in 1987 . And AMC built them much cheaper (dollar wise) than Chrysler did.

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
I came across a clip of either a Dodge or Plymouth and the radiator support had a sticker from Chrysler that said US Military Vehicle Emission Exempt. Common back in the 80's?
The military in the 1980's purchased fleets of K-Cars and other Chrysler vehicles I guess to make sure they got paid back for their billion dollar loan . I remember seeing them all over base when I was in the service

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Maybe under the former President they started smogging B1 bombers and Abrams tanks and using lead free munitions ! One thing I have learned is that about 250,000 Chrysler M body cars were built by AMC in Kenosha Wi for Chrysler right before they acquired AMC in 1987 . And AMC built them much cheaper (dollar wise) than Chrysler did.
Can you site a source? I'm skeptical of this claim because tooling up a factory to build a car is massively expensive, both then and now. I find it difficult to believe they would have moved production; especially so close to end-of-life.

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
I have to correct one part of my post the cars were manufactured from 1987-89 when Chrysler owned AMC . Here is the link Dodge Diplomat - Wikipedia

And here is the paragraph from it : " By 1981, Chrysler was switching to smaller front-wheel drive designs. However, its older and larger rear-wheel drive Dodge Diplomat (as well as the Chrysler LeBaron and Fifth Avenue) continued to sell. Chrysler's then executive vice president for manufacturing, Steve Sharf, met with officials at American Motors (AMC) to use the extra capacity at an assembly plant in Kenosha, Wisconsin to build the full-size cars.[1] Chrysler's tooling was moved from St. Louis to Kenosha, and from 1987 until 1989 about 250,000 Chrysler and Dodge models were built by AMC at a lower cost than Chrysler could.[1] This relationship evolved into Chrysler's purchase of AMC in 1987.[1] "

Back