Exhaust systems

88_AHB

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Was curious if anyone on here is running an exhaust system from say summit or jegs etc. that's mostly bolt on and go? I've seen one system for F body cars which is pretty much the same as ours.Now would something for a A or J body work without cutting and welding too significantly?Looking for dual exhaust from the headers back to the bumper 2.25 or 2.5inch diameter with a turbo muffler or something mild etc.Any help is appreciated thanks!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
FMJ body exhaust systems are all the same (ie: interchange) – with an exception of 2-door vs. 4-door/wagon (2-door being a bit shorter overall).

There are minor differences between FMJ and A and B/E-bodies – but a person might be able to get an A or B/E-body system to work fine with minor modifications - except for the fuel tank area.

Now with that said, there is a few different FMJ versions from the factory – if you are trying to re-create a factory system. Also (which I might be wrong) I don’t recall a factory dual exhaust system on any FMJ car. The “Y” was either at the engine or behind the dual mufflers, with a single tailpipe on the passenger side of fuel tank.

Also, the factory used different size pipes over the years (2-1/2”, 2-1/4", 1-7/8” and 1-3/4”), they also used 0 cats, a single cat and three cat systems. The three catalytic converter system is quite restrictive and is nice to get rid of (by using the Canadian Y-pipe) – but I wouldn’t try it if living in California (not worth awaking the emission police, there).

I’ve been told the E-body AAR/TA side exhaust system will fit without modification (to pipes) – but you might need to fabricate a muffler hanger system (not sure if the E-body AAR system will work, but it might). Also, using the AAR/TA side exhaust system on 4-door cars, rear door usage could cause burns if not careful.
70 AAR.jpg

Exhaust AAR.jpg

If planning on dual exhaust (out the rear), a person might need to move the fuel tank over (to passenger side) a couple of inches (1 rib) – and that might require lengthening the fuel filler neck an equal distance.

If looking at an exhaust “kit”, I would try an 340/360 A-body. Just keep in mind (and place homage to) the CA emission gods before/during your planning.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've heard recently that there is a $1000.00 fine in California for a non stock exhaust system now. $1000.00 WOW

Aspen500

Reaction score
It seems like EVERYTHING is illegal in CA and /or "not for sale or use" and "is known to cause cancer".

Anyways,,,,,,,,,,it is possible to run dual exhaust and leave the fuel tank alone, if you run both t-pipes out the right side. It's close but, dual 2 1/2" pipes will fit,,,,,,,just.

DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not even close to needing new exhaust made up, yet – but I’ve seen Aspen500 double wide tailpipe system before – and been considering something similar. I was thinking about having the two tail pipes on top of each other (instead of side by side) OR a “Y” by the differential, into a larger pipe which exits behind the bumper.

Not close that that project – though.
BudW

88_AHB

Reaction score
I inquired about this also on a Diplomat group on FB and a few guys found a jegs exhaust kit for a early 70's Dart/scamp works well.Now to run the tips all the way out to the bumper you have to shift the tank over to the passenger side,also extend the filler neck.It looks pretty straight forward in doing this,or they just dump the exhaust over the rear axle or downward after the rear tires. This is the kit and fairly priced with or without mufflers.JEGS 30501: Header-Back Dual 2-1/2 in. Exhaust Kit A-Body | JEGS. Apparently all you have to do to move the tank over is unbolt it and slide the tank straps over on the next rib or notch on the exterior of the tank thats it. . This guy in our group linked me his video of the kit from jegs and moving over the tank,with some added goodies he did to it in addition like the cutouts and H pipe.

Also yes they've recently imposed that new law in which is stupid.But in what ive heard so far it was supposedly created to crackdown more so on the "side show" people in this area that have are heavily modded cars i.e. WRX's,EVO's,BMW's,Stangs etc etc.My daily silverado has pretty loud exhaust with a single chamber spintech for over 9 years and never been stopped for that or my tinted side windows lol go figure.Personally dont know anmyone that has been popped for this,also heard once you do you have to visit the state ref and they go through your car bumper to bumper in addition to the fine.I've also researched that a cop can pull you over if he suspects your exhaust is over 95DB in sound.Thereafter the ref does the actually testing with a meter etc.

Last edited:

Hwystar58

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Was curious if anyone on here is running an exhaust system from say summit or jegs etc. that's mostly bolt on and go? I've seen one system for F body cars which is pretty much the same as ours.Now would something for a A or J body work without cutting and welding too significantly?Looking for dual exhaust from the headers back to the bumper 2.25 or 2.5inch diameter with a turbo muffler or something mild etc.Any help is appreciated thanks!
My 79 Aspen R/T E58 360 4 brl. came with, what I like to call factory 3/4 duals! That is up until the rear axle. So what I did was remove the Y-pipe and install 2.25" tail pipe on the passenger side and a 2.00" on the drivers side to the bumper. Is it perfect? No. But its a lot less restrictive than the factory so called duals!

27193_117460184934222_3493390_n.jpg

Back