Exhaust Thoughts On Aspen

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
I presently have one muffler and no cat with a Y pipe and the ends turned down right in front of the rear tires. Needless to say I am beyond loud and that is just sitting. I have noticed with the way the rear axle is placed and the wide gas tank there seems to be very little room to run duals out the rear.

Any one have a Volare or Aspen with duals out the rear? Wondering everyone else setup. I know its a slant six and not a 318 and so on but then again there is nothing like the sound tone of those series 40 flow masters. Thank You

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
Generally, the trick is to run the pipes a la GM F-body, which means going over the axle and to the outside of the leaf springs at the same time. That can seriously limit your rear tire size, of course, depending on pipe size and where it comes to the outside of the frame rail. Another trick is to loosen the fuel tank straps and slide the fuel tank over a notch. The last guy I knew that did that made a spacer for his filler neck (at the quarter panel) to maintain proper depth in the tank, but I don't know that it's necessary. Regardless, that allows a 2.5" pipe to be routed along that side without issue while leaving room on the other side for a matching pipe. In the case of my Imperial, the plan is to cut the tank lengthwise and section it a few inches. It's total overkill but I'm goofy about exhaust. I plan to run small resonators back there. They won't clear any other way that I can see.
Another option is to go the Challenger T/A route and dump ahead of the rear wheels. That requires a single-reverse-flow muffler to do correctly, but you're not limited to expensive repro mufflers. Flowmaster, DynoMax and others make suitable high-perf mufflers listed for late-model Corvettes with the inlet and outlet on the same end. "Reproduction" upgraded T/A side-exit tailpipes are available in larger-than-original sizes, too. Cheap? No, but they give you a shiny chrome tip and solve the tailpipe issue with no fuel-tank or tire-size dilemma, and they look pretty dang cool on an F-body.
As far as getting "that sound" on a Slant Six, you'll need a split header, which is available from Clifford Performance for $400 (that's what the Duster in the video has). You can also look up Doug Dutra, who does factory-manifold splitting as well as making brand-new dual-exhaust cast manifolds for $225, but they require a heat-shielded mini starter and one cast-in locator tab used for factory machining to be cut off the block. They also aren't going to sound as racy as the Clifford long-tube header arrangement. Dutra's method of splitting the factory manifold keeps the under-carb heat riser, which is great for cold starts but awful for performance. The other options lack manifold heat whatsoever. Whether or not the trade-off is worth it, only you can decide.
One thing to keep in mind: the smaller the diameter of pipe you use, the less it will sound like a V8. Smaller-diameter pipe cancels out lower frequencies and accentuates the higher (blattier) sounds. The flip side is that with larger pipes, you lose bottom-end torque. You haven't got much to fall back on with a Slant Six; they're not exactly rev-happy engines.
I hate to refer you to another board, but this short thread at SlantSix.org has a pretty good discussion about exhaust options.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You can run both pipes out the right side and leave the fuel tank in place. The left side has to cross over above the axle and then run along side the right side pipe. There's JUST enough space for 2 1/2"pipes.
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Aspen500: holy smokes...that thing is pristine...excellent!!!

Mopar_Gods: here is what I've done on my coupe...as NoCar340 mentioned, I went the side pipe behind the wheels exit route...pretty darn happy with it actually...cleaned up the back, no issues with room and that is with a full size 3" diameter X-pipe.

So here comes the "exhaust thread with pics" from my Dippy posting days:

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
pic8.jpg
pic9.jpg
pic10.jpg
pic11.jpg

There is more to it, but that about does a pretty good highlight of the install.

efriedrich

Reaction score
Dang fellas you guys got some seriously clean under carriages, nice work, great cars..

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Aspen500: holy smokes...that thing is pristine...excellent!!!

Mopar_Gods: here is what I've done on my coupe...as NoCar340 mentioned, I went the side pipe behind the wheels exit route...pretty darn happy with it actually...cleaned up the back, no issues with room and that is with a full size 3" diameter X-pipe.

So here comes the "exhaust thread with pics" from my Dippy posting days:

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic6.jpg
pic7.jpg
pic8.jpg
pic9.jpg
pic10.jpg
pic11.jpg

There is more to it, but that about does a pretty good highlight of the install.

Now that is one clean and mean looking underside there. Nice work !

80mirada

Reaction score
Aspen500's exhaust is closest to the stock "dual" setup that Chrysler used under FM&J bodies, until early in the 1980 production year. They used a rear "y" pipe that ran out the back. I think their is a picture on here somewhere.

80mirada

Reaction score
scan0004-jpg.910

Found this in another thread, I have seen this style system on a few cars (Mostly F and M cop cars). It was used up until early 1980 production and was used on at least a few 318 cars, police and special order. There was a faded blue Mirada when I was in high school that had this setup on it, and it was a special ordered 318 car. Both F body cop cars I worked on had this setup also, one was a 318, the other was a 360. It was supposed to be standard on 360, but I believe many were delivered with the 318 exhaust.

I would rather have a nice mandrel bent 2.5" or 3" system like M_Body_Coupe or Aspen500

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's kind of what I modeled my exhaust on. The tail pipes anyways.

Had duals on the '78 Cordoba (360) that I owned from '88 to '96. Did the same thing, ran both pipes out the right side. Like F-M-J cars, the fuel tank was tight to the leaf spring on the left side.
An exhaust shop bent the Cordoba system. The Aspen is the measure, angle find, cut, weld, grind, finish, do it yourself type made from aluminized straight stock and mandrel bent aluminized "U" bends from Summit.

Grandmas84

Reaction score
I used the jegs A body dual kit. I just moved my tank over one rib to run on either side and extended my filler neck with a spare one I had. Ill post a video tomorrow.

Back