Expensive parts

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I was just looking around on eBay for F body parts. Not that I need anything, but just looking. It struck me how expensive both NOS and even used parts have become for Aspens and Volares. Hundreds of dollars for some things. There also doesn't seem to be as many parts listed as there used to be. I used to look for parts and buy them when I found a good deal, but there doesn't seem to be many good deals left anymore.
Fortunately, I have a pretty good stash of spare parts for OY at this point, some are NOS, some used. Some I got from eBay or Craigslist. But most came from two complete F wagons I bought from listings on CL. One was a '78 Aspen in Virginia, almost identical to OY except that it had an automatic, and then also a '77 Volare Premier in Oklahoma. For both of those cars, I made a deal with the sellers for me to come and strip what I wanted off the cars and then left the carcasses for the seller to junk.
Both times were fun road trips and I am fortunate to have a pickup to haul the parts back to Pennsylvania. Between both of those cars, I got everything from all four spare doors and a hatch to a really nice entire plaid interior and Mopar Road Wheels, as well as a ton of smaller parts like the remote passenger side mirror, power steering unit, roof rack, lots of trim, and even rear cargo doors. All sorts of stuff - everything I could take off and jam into my truck. I didn't mind the road trips as they were adventures and I camped along the way, and I also think it was a huge savings in $$ for parts overall.
I guess that the F's and M's are becoming more scarce and although that might make them more valuable for resale (not that I would ever consider that), the downside is that parts are getting more expensive and elusive. If you want an alturnative source for parts - LOTS of parts, consider buying an entire car when you come across one for a decent price. Make a deal to strip it for parts and the seller can then make even more money by scrapping what you leave. No reason to haul the whole thing home, and no worries about titles and transfers. Even if you have to travel a distance, its fun and an adventure if you have a pickup and tools.

006.JPG

Oklahoma Kansas May 23-30 2015 041.jpg

Oklahoma Kansas May 23-30 2015 056.jpg

(This black wagon must have been a gorgeous car when it was new!)

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
A good part of it is the pandemic. A lot of stuff has gone up in price not just car related stuff.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Yep, pretty nuts isnt it. Many f parts from certain sellers were nuts before the pandi. Look up a ford monarch?? Or Granada..... talk of stupid prices. If you would of watched over the past 3 years or so certain sellers still have the same parts listed. Ive not sold in months since they changed to there managed payment system. No more instant money, sellers listing things they do not have. Im currently waiting on a 300 plus refund, funny if you want to buy you must pay now but now there refunds take 3-5 days.

Its like paypals system of 15 years ago.

But back to the parts, I blocked the big flippers as a few just buy any fair priced item and 2-3x it. There is one lens I just tossed on for a 100 and it was bought three years ago and is still listed for 200.

Thats the game though, when I was listing id be 40% or less then the big flippers as I wanted to sell parts. And flipping is not bad if the greed dont get too bad. On trim parts I bought a lot from a good nos seller who also sells on here and made about $12.50 off each one I sold but it did self pay for trim for three of my cars. But the key is everyone was happy.... nothing like looking at a part and feeling the gut hurt as I paid so much.

But if you were looking for a part and had time on your side, put the searches in to be sent to your email when one pops up or simply if one can scan ebay a few minutes daily, great deals do pop up and Ive found the best deals are from non mopar guys who just want to sell parts and make money vs wait on that one sucker.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Same thing happened to A, B and E bodies years ago. Prices went up, up, up, up................ I paid $700 for a '70 Barracuda Gran Coupe in 1981. Same car in same condition (not exactly mint shape) would be $10,000 or more now. Insane.

DCAspen

Reaction score
That's been on there for a few months.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Find a '78/'79 NOS Aspen grille.................When one does turn up, it's like $1200-$1500 or so. If you really needed one, you'd pay the price since the chance of ever running across one again are slim to none. Good used is about as rare. The way the grille's are made, it doesn't take much to break one. Once they get old, NOS or used, the plastic gets brittle which makes it even worse. Mine is an NOS grille I got from Marty Mopar back in the early 2000's and it's got it's share of epoxy and super glue. Always afraid I'll hit a fly and break one of the slats out, lol. OK, it's not THAT brittle but not far from it. Back then, the grille was $400 and I kind of hesitated but, just like now, chance of finding another is really low.

Always think if I'd had a window into the future back in the '80's, I could retire tomorrow. All the Aspen and Volare parts (M and J too) on cars in the scrap yards, and you could buy them for next to nothing. Rear spoilers for $5, complete interior for $50, they'd just about give away the trim pieces. Tuff wheels went for $10, taillights $5/each, a good grille for $15, etc..................Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it? lol If I really had a window, and would have had the money, I'd have bought 20 or 30 '78/'79 grille's when they were $120 from the dealer, all the pieces of trim on the front of the fenders and hood was about $60 total, headlight bezels, $12/ea, and IIRC, 1/4 panels were in the $300 range. Where's that darn TARDIS, I want to go back in time and buy a crap load of that stuff. Problem is, not sure if I'd want to come back to the present time again. I might end up staying in 1985. You know what I mean.....

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Just saw N.O.S 80 Aspen grille on EBAY believe it was 1,000 or that was opening bid.
Yes, that was one of the items that I saw that inspired me to write the post. I bought an extremely nice "almost" NOS '78 Aspen grille (still in the box, but had been installed briefly on an Aspen) a few years ago for what is now a very low price. I have yet to put it on OY because: 1) I have yet to finish, much less detail OY and I won't put it on until the rest of it is "done", and 2) I am really worried about it getting broken or cracked. It's a shame that something so fragile and cheaply made is also so rare and expensive that you don't even dare to put it on the car. I have two other grilles that I keep for "parts" to keep glueing a "driver" one back together.

IMG_20180714_131259025 (1).jpg

IMG_20180715_164535544.jpg

IMG_20180715_164636951 (1).jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 3d printer - but it will only print about a 10" by 10" by 12" box (or so - not measured, only guessing). The larger the printer, the many more times more expensive it gets.
A grill will need to use two or more different filaments used (different plastic spools used to create your project), one for each color used and another as a disposable support structure sense you have to have something to "print against" because the hot plastic has to have a foundation to build upon.

Making a 3D printed grill is possible but is not practical - unless one takes a 3D printed grill, cleans it up and uses it to make a mold with. Then with a mold, the grill can be mass produced - which is by far the better option.

A multi-filament 3D printer capable of printing a grill might be (only guessing) in the 10-20,000 dollar (US) range - mainly because of the size of the printer. I would also guess it would take 3-5 days to make a single printing that size.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
At least 5 days to print a grille for a '78/'79. I know the plastic molding outfit across the street from work does some jobs that the 3-D printer runs constantly, day and night, for two weeks to make the proto type, which is then used to make a mold, which if approved, is used to make the actual mold the plastic is formed in, if that makes any sense. It's a long process for complex pieces. Of course, the printer they have is gigantic. I'd guess maybe 8' by 8' and fairly tall also. Don't even want to know how much that one cost!

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Used 80-s are still a $100 grille NOS approx $250 when ya get past the regular ebay stiffs.

Should be interesting to watch what some 76/77 and 78/79 go for, with people paying foolish money for F these days im glad I held onto a bunch of nos ones and them ive some for projects I will never get too.

So going by the current foolishness when a 78 R/TF body sold for 10k people were paying $700 and up for a nos grille, so if that same car sells for 25k now is the same NOS grille worth 2.5 X $700 ?

There are now two groups of F owners, us long time lifers and the check writers new to the game.

Best bet is to network with folks ya know and let the new guy check writers pay the entry fee.

Thats how its been with the older mopars that became more popular with time.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Ahh...the great parts chase!!!

Two most memorable "scores" I manged to pull off were:

1) two sets of NOS wheel well trim - alas the 4-door version, not much good for the coupe crowd (the rear that is)

2) two NOS grilles, one scored in Mexico, total price there was < $150 with shipping I think...still in the box, bubble wrapped, the 1st one is on my coupe as well, and like Aspen500 said: I cringe each time I'm driving and end up behind a commercial vehicle or a truck, or anything that looks like it's trying to pick up stones and toss 'em at me!!!

oh, I did pick up a couple of NOS dash bezels, one in the coupe right now...you know, the more you think about this, and the longer you've been "on the hunt" the more you dig up...don't even get me started on the 9800 series Carter TQs (aftermarket version withe the electric choke) for I think I may be addicted to acquiring those...even my kids laugh at me now!

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Here in the dust bowl birds from finches, sparrows, hawks, pheasants and turkeys are present. And them are the small things, jack rabbits, coyotes, deer and cattle are repair or totaled hit to a ride.

Last week I nailed five small birds on the 35 mile drive to town. My parts runner hood lip is even dinged from a pheasant. Turkeys dont run, punted one like a football at low speed.

Id almost think the six inch long grasshoppers might damage a F grille.

A nice meaty hopper in this picture might go through an old F grille.

DSC03895.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
A house fly would take a slat out of a '79 Aspen grille.....................

We have turkeys. Dumbest bird ever, and I'm always scanning the sides of the road fo them. Hit one on the way to wok last week. Came out of nowhere and I didn't even have time to go for the bake pedal. Fortunately it was a 35 zone and,,,,,,I was in the Mustang. kaTHUNK. Had all sots of images in my head. Got to wok and checked, not a scratch, phew. Guarantee if it had been the Aspen, I'd be getting my wallet out for a new grille.....Then again, the ca has full coverage (Gundy) so anything over the deductible would have been covered but still...............

Back