F body rear spring relocation kit

CM360

Reaction score
Mopar made them for the A,B and E body. Did they make them for the F?

greymouser7

Reaction score
I just bought some with the tax return this year- do some searches on the forum
I have allot of stuff going on but the second to last page of the heavy metal hell raiser thread has a list of parts purchased for my car and this includes the leaf springs (i think they are one of the longest) -to include parts & whom i purchased from & cost

summit racing sells super stock springs as a pair for our cars and when you search, it's the same chassis with the diplomats thru 1989

Aspen500

Reaction score
He was asking about spring RELOCATION kits like the one's that move the leafs inboard 2"(?).
As far as I know, Mopar only did the A,B and E body.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
The F/M/J body rear spring hanger mounts directly on the underside of the frame rail. Moving it in wouldnt buy any extra space for bigger tires.
The A bodies have a bracket attached to the rear of the rail that moves the hanger outward. Eliminating that allows the spring spacing to be narrowed.

Locomotion

Reaction score
I remember reading a story saying that F-body springs are "toed-in" a little bit. It went on to say that E/B body offset shackles will help straighten them, gain a little tire clearance at the back half and perfectly align the springs with '68-'70 B-body 8 3/4" housing spring pads.

I don' know if it applies to 2-door cars, (I have a wagon.) but I was able to gain some tire clearance on the front/inside of the rear wheelwells with a big hammer!

Last edited:

CM360

Reaction score
I think you are referring to using B body rear with E body springs. The spring pads holes are 1/4" wider on the F than the B body. Some guys use a come- a- long to pull the springs in to match up with the pad holes. Not a good idea if your using this on your race car. Probably even a street car

Locomotion

Reaction score
I think you are referring to using B body rear with E body springs. The spring pads holes are 1/4" wider on the F than the B body. Some guys use a come- a- long to pull the springs in to match up with the pad holes. Not a good idea if your using this on your race car. Probably even a street car

I agree that it's not a good idea to put anything in a bind by forcing it to fit. But using the 3/4" offset shackles, it would move the rear of the spring about 3/4" inward and the middle of the spring roughly 3/8" inward with the front remaining in the stock location. There is usually enough "slop" in the fitment to line up the spring locating bolts with the B-body spring pads without a bind. The pads were already cut off of my housing so I couldn't confirm the OEM B-body pad location fitment. But I believe it's a sound theory. The shackles did not put the front spring eyes in a bind with the very slight angle change on my car.

As for spring usage, there was a Mopar front spring mount kit that allowed the shorter leaf springs to work in an F-body. But ideally, it would be best to have proper length leaf springs. I got a set of used, custom made SS springs for my wagon but did use the 3/4" offset rear shackles.

I think I got it!
Aspen pics 4-12-2015 001 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited:

CM360

Reaction score
I agree that it's not a good idea to put anything in a bind by forcing it to fit. But using the 3/4" offset shackles, it would move the rear of the spring about 3/4" inward and the middle of the spring roughly 3/8" inward with the front remaining in the stock location. There is usually enough "slop" in the fitment to line up the spring locating bolts with the B-body spring pads without a bind. The pads were already cut off of my housing so I couldn't confirm the OEM B-body pad location fitment. But I believe it's a sound theory. The shackles did not put the front spring eyes in a bind with the very slight angle change on my car.

As for spring usage, there was a Mopar front spring mount kit that allowed the shorter leaf springs to work in an F-body. But ideally, it would be best to have proper length leaf springs. I got a set of used, custom made SS springs for my wagon but did use the 3/4" offset rear shackles.

I think I got it!View attachment 12345
The spring pad holes are .44" wider on the F body than the B body.If your still running NHRA, that offset shackle is illegal. I also got bounced for using a Firm Feel front hanger and an E body HD leaf spring. I remember at the beginning of IHRA CM class, they allowed the spring relocation kit but frowned on it a few years later on any new cars that were built for the class. I opted for the CalTrac system since it is designed for the F and M body. I also thought that sometime in the future I would change class from N/SA to H when I got tired of running the 318/4. I missed the '15 season with some head/rocker arm issues.

Locomotion

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll have to do some more research because I've heard both sides. I was interpreting the rear OEM mounting point as being on the frame because the shackles themselves are not the "bracket" or in a "fixed" position. The aftermarket bolt-on adjustable stuff today is more sophisticated than what SS use to have not that long ago.

I was an early IHRA crate motor competitor and have the full 3/4" offset kit on my Dart. But I'm investing in the Aspen for NHRA hoping for more "opportunities".

Last edited:
Back