F body Z bar bracket

Buck Atwater

Reaction score
Anyone with a manual transmission F body able to take a pic of the frame side bracket for the Z bar stud? I'm converting my Mirada over to a 4 speed and was wondering if I could make something to duplicate the factory setup.
The 1980 service manual I have doesn't show it clearly.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t have one (except for a column shifted automatic transmission Z-bar – which is not what you are looking for).

It would be nice for someone with one of these beauties to post some pictures of it, dimensions, correct application of it bolted to car, etc., and then sticky it for all others will know.

I know the part is not easy to find – but if you at least have an example – others can make something that can work.
BudW

Buck Atwater

Reaction score
I found a picture of a members car in another thread. What i ended up doing wasn't the most elegant solution but it was the simplest. I just took a piece of 2" x 1/8 flatbar about 5" long and bolted it to the frame rail and fender apron with 3/8 bolts. It put the Z bar in the right place and worked perfectly.

framestud.jpg

IMG00299-20110314-2020.jpg

Buck Atwater

Reaction score
Where did you get your parts from?

Gathered up from ebay and various sites like this and moparts over the years, never got around to installing it until last year or so. The trans is '68 A body, as is the shifter. The shifter rods and clutch rod/adjuster I got from Brewers. Z bar and bellhousing were ebay I think.
The hump is from a Volare I got on moparts a few years ago, it fits the Mirada floor like it was made for it. The pedals are from an F body which I modified slightly to fit the Mirada column bracket.

Back