FACTORY HORN REPAIR KIT

CM360

Reaction score
I slept thru the night and discovered that the local police pulled up my drive to pull the wire to the horn of my '81 Diplomat. Apparently it was a major issue for Mopar. Do the factory service kits still exist? I've had no luck so far. It's in mint condition.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Did it run your battery down?
I live so far out in the boonies that I'd face the music the next morning if the car wouldn't start. Sheriff only comes out this way if there is livestock in the road or bar ditch and that takes at least 45 minutes.

CM360

Reaction score
Yes. It went off once or twice during the day and I was able to play with the pressure pads on the factory 3 spoke steering wheel and get it to stop. According to a local mechanic, the tolerances of the horn switch were just bad.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Horn relays have been known to cause that problem also. Usually though, they will stick after using the horn rather than make it go off on it's own.
Ford's used to have that happen in cold weather. The vinyl on the horn pad would shrink and make the contacts,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,contact.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Never had the horn go off by itself in 40 yrs.

Then I found out getting out of the car and handing out German suplexes or 'Hindenburg's' is far more satisfying than a horn.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Too many permit to carry down here for that.
I just drive with the rifle in the rifle rack across the back windows. I must admit, it is not effective on cattle in the road.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a horn go off by itself, on my ‘77 Cordoba, back in ‘85 or so, on a cold night (about 10' F)
It was either horn relay or the 3 spoke horn pad that caused it - but I can’t remember which.

If I was go guess, it was the horn relay, because I don’t think I took the steering wheel apart on that car (30+ years ago).

My mom told me it was the car telling me, it wanted to get out of the cold. I couldn’t disagree.

BudW

Back