Fender mounted turn signals

lowbudget

Reaction score
Has anyone put the fender mounted turn signals like the F bodies have on a Fifth Avenue? I'm thinking just splice into the turn signal wire. I will have to try and round up a decent set from my friends salvage yard. The main reason is because chicks dig them. It will be done on my beater Fifth not my cruiser.

89.Fifth

Reaction score
I've seen them done and want to do it too, but don't have photos or anything. I think it looks great.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes, you can splice into the front turn signal circuit. I've seen some cars in the past that actually had the connector pigtail in the wiring harness for the lights but didn't actually have them.

lowbudget

Reaction score
Yes, you can splice into the front turn signal circuit. I've seen some cars in the past that actually had the connector pigtail in the wiring harness for the lights but didn't actually have them.

That's what I was wondering about. I'm heading home from the desert and will look at the 85 harness. The pigtail would make it to easy.

Mr C

Reaction score
There are 2 styles of fender mount turn signals...those mounted on fibre glass headers (70's Cordobas/ Chargers) and those mounted to metal (70's C & F bodies). The fibre glass mount version has 2 wires running to it (one is a ground) and the other version only one wire as it grounds to the fender.

So if you intend to mount yours to the fibre glass headers, I recommend you get the 2 wire version.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's what I was wondering about. I'm heading home from the desert and will look at the 85 harness. The pigtail would make it to easy.
You might get lucky! A lot of times the manufacturer will have a vendor make one (or maybe 2) harnesses that would cover all available options. Cheaper than having 10 different versions of the same harness made. They do the same thing to this day.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Fender top turn signals were a popular deader add-on, back in the day.
Most of all of the ‘70’s and early ‘80’s have pigtails, at these locations for them.
I don’t know about ’86, though.

These pictures were taken from my ’77 wagon, a few moments ago.
The pigtails are in red circles. The hole in inner fender is marked by white arrow.
20170713_193843a.jpg

20170713_193908a.jpg

The lamps shouldn’t matter which side or what year (for the most part).

The location on fender varies as well (especially on dealer installed lamps) – so unless you have an example to go by, there will not be anyone out there to know if they are in correct location, or not.
BudW

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Thanks much BudW!! I am hoping to find those pigtails on OY when I can check it out this weekend. I have a nice set of fender mount turn lights to put on after I get the power steering installed (the pump mounting brackets are on the way!) The question now is does anyone have the measurements of where the factory mounting holes are on the fender tops?

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Top of fender front edge (the 90 degree down turn of the fender is not flat so the measurement is from the most upper part of the bend) to the center of the hole is 7 3/4" and from the inside 90 degree turn down the center is 1 1/16". The hole size is 11/16". This info was provided by Mopars1 from A & V.Com.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
7T8 Custom - I read and re-read your above post a couple of times and I didn't quite understand your directions. Could you re-phrase that please?

20170714_115443a.jpg

The front of fender is at a slight angle.
I think you are referring to “A” as the start point of measurement going back (7-3/4”)?
Or do you mean to start a front of fender at point “B”?
If starting at point “B” then where at on the angle?
7-3/4” from point “A” seams more reasonable but could also be a bit vague as to where the starting point will be at.

I was trying to clarify for other members, here.
That said, I have a pair of fender indicators to add to my car – after I find some rust free fenders and get ‘em installed, first.
BudW

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Sorry Bud, but those are not my measurements nor my phrasing. All were cut and pasted from a previous post. From the way I understood the post, A would be the the starting point that would make the most sense to me.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I only had 11 days off and didn't even have time to look at my Fifth for the pigtails. I did look at the leaf spring bushings though. Hopefully next days off I will get to play with it a little bit and get it aligned and tagged.

I was just going to measure the lights on my Aspen and put them in the same place.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I was just going to measure the lights on my Aspen and put them in the same place.
Would you mind letting us know what your measurements end up being, please?
Pictures are also nice (if you have time).

MoparDan

Reaction score
I've added them to my old '87 Diplomat SE and my current '85 Gran Fury, neither of them had the plugs. I just spliced them into the turn signal wires, wasn't hard to do. Drilling the holes into the fenders: well make sure you have plenty of drill bits!

Back