Few General J Questions

double a ron

Reaction score
Hello all, working on an 81 Cordoba LS, few questions.

Throwing on new rotors and new inner and outer bearings. When I took off the old one the retainer nut on the spindle was totally loose. Now I know this isn't supposed to be torqued on but does anyone know the spec (finger tight, or tighten and back off, etc)?

On the positive lead of the battery there is a 2nd hot line coming off that goes into a connector. Mine was disconnected, but I can't seem to figure out what it is for.

Obligatory pics. loaded LS with factory power sunroof, been in my dads shed for 30 years. Had to give the exterior some love so factory pinstriping, badges, and wheel moldings removed in this pic....

IMG_3219_zpsrcdnjuep.jpg
IMG_3215_zpsr4ltu3jj.jpg

Mcfly68

Reaction score
With new bearings, it takes a bit of feel. Make sure you pack your bearings properly ( lots of videos on you tube...can be done by hand properly, just a tad messy)..assemble your your hub with a new seal on the back, slip on to the spindle, install the outer bearing, washer and nut. This is where the "feel" comes in...using your left handed metric adjustable wrench ( of around the 24mm length, or 12 inch if you only have a right handed sae adjustable), spin the rotor and tighten the nut with extreme prejudice ( almost as tight as you can with the wrench while constantly spinning the rotor). Now with out spinning the rotor, back off the nut until you can turn it by hand.....dont disturb the rotor and bearings..this just seated the new bearings. retighten the nut until you feel a little drag/tension with the wrench, put the cage over the nut and adjust the nut position in the tighter direction until you can get the cotter pin through the first castellated slots and hole through the spindle. You now have properly adjusted wheel bearings

Last edited:

marty mopar

Reaction score
just in case: I have ALL the LS badging...grille, quarter panel and trunk lid NOS if you need them.

double a ron

Reaction score
Thanks McFly, also thanks Marty I don't need anything, front quarter looks damaged in that pic but that is a reflection, steel is all good.

I remembered the other question I had, has anyone put mopar rallye rims on a J body?

rallye-wheel_zpssdv1y0n2.jpg

here is the pic of the wire I can't figure out…..

IMG_20151022_145548_zpsxrbakvra.jpg

BHA43

Reaction score
I believe that is the feed for the emergency flashers?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I can't recall seeing the Ralleye rims on a J body. I think they would look pretty good, as long as they were 15 inch. I think the 14" would look a little too small.

There are also some factory F body alloy wheels that would look killer on a J body. They came only in 14" though. I have seen them in pictures, and I think they were the ancestor of the ten spokes. I don't know what they are called, but the last picture I saw them on was an F body wagon with a sports package (might have been the R/T package).

I would like to see an F body with the 5 on 5s, I really think the 5 on 5s go with just about any body style, even outside of the Mopar family.

double a ron

Reaction score
Ah I will check the hazard lights, hasn't stranded me yet so haven't used them....

Well maybe I will be the guinea pig on the rallye's.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
There's a gut here with a 80 360 Mirada the the rallyes.

mirada80

Reaction score
I really like the 5 on 5 as well, but I have never been able to find a set locally.

mirada80

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words gents.
This is the only other picture I have on the access to right now, a couple more on my phone I may upload later. I just put the car back in storage on Sunday, I actually licensed and inspected it this year, first time it has been on the road since 2008.
20140629_182101.jpg

20140629_182101.jpg

CMX360

Reaction score
That's one hell of an LS you've got. Most of those were plain Janes with 225's. Whoever ordered that car wasn't messing around. Nice baron Mirada Mirada80. I went to see a mint factory E58 baron red 80 t-top Mirada on Cape Cod years ago. Guy said he was going to ask 30K for it or something insane like that. He ended up selling it on ebay for around 5k I believe. People just don't care about these cars sadly. I'd bet that the only factory J thats ever sold for more than four digits is probably the concept car. As for non factory I saw a blue t-top Mirada with a 426 Hemi sell for big bucks. Buyer probably just wanted the engine.

mirada80

Reaction score
I remember seeing that on ebay a few years ago, I believe this is it here.
mirada.jpg

Were all E58 Miradas TM9 Baron Red, haven't seen any other color.
It is a shame these aren't valued any more than a used Corolla.

mirada.jpg

Back