Firewall Modules

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what the unplugged modues are here? They've bled out so I disconnected them with no operation effect.

2017-02-06 15.53.13.jpg

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Yeah, thats what I've always figured too. Why would there be THREE of the stupid things tho? It's a '81 T&C. Autozone searched every EGR category and couldn't find it. Must not need any of them.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
EGR timer (Orange)

The other two I believe to be for air pump diverter valve (switches from upstream to downstream air flow). The other could be 318 passenger side heat riser vacuum control – which I don’t think applies to /6.
It might also be an A/C cutoff module when throttle position reaches certain position or an anti-diesel module (keeps throttle open a bit after shutoff.

I don’t have any manuals for ’81 car to look at – to know for sure.

Just because the “goo” from backside of module melted out doesn’t mean the module is bad. I have seen brand new modules, still in box, with that goo melted out and stuck to box. As long as the PC (Printed Circuit) board is not touching the can or chassis, then you should be fine (except for the gooey mess).

I think the goo batches varied on humidity and contents available on hand. It might also had to do with the alcohol level of the “mixer”.
BudW

Cambo

Reaction score
IMG_8845.JPG
Here is a pic from an 84 manual, if yours is the same it looks like the is a electronic throttle control, the EGR time delay, and the ECU module. I don't have my book handy to give you a better definition of what exactly their functions are. On my FA, the EGR
timer is gone, and the EGR valve vac supply capped off (previous owner). I think the time delay might have been just for start up.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's been running just fine with them all unhooked. But now I caught a wife of antifreeze and a slight steaming of the windshield. Not looking forward to pulling the dash out to service the heater core right now, so it's parked.

Back