Front calipers/pads, do they have anti-rattle clips?

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I have this HORRIBLE racket on rough roads, which I attributed to completely shot shocks and it being the wire wheel covers banging around because the wheel is obviously hopping too much.

HOWEVER, I have noticed that the sound is negated when on the brakes. A little bit of brakes doesn't stop the noise, but a good solid brake force will have the noise gone.

So this leads me to believe that either the pads, or the calipers themselves are just banging around. I have only had the wheels off this thing years ago for new rubber, and I am un familiar with how their situation works lol.

What do ya'll think?
2020-08-31 20.01.20.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Yes. There was a post the other week that shows a picture of the clips. You might want to check what condition they're in they rust and loose their pressure with age. Sometimes even new ones you have to bend a bit to get some more pressure out of them.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The other anti-rattle measure is a black "rubber band" that goes around the caliper abutment. Problem is, they tend to last about 2 days before parting ways. The idea is to cushion between the caliper and abutment to keep it from rattling. Not the best idea ever invented though.

Duke5A

Reaction score
The design basically sucks. You can quiet them down, but it doesn't last long. I got so sick of it I replaced the calipers with Wilwood ones.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Well this is disheartening.. It makes the car SOUND like shes largely un-maintained lolol.

I guess Ill try new clips and see what is gonna happen.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Hopefully it's just the pads rattling and the small clips may be worn out. The outer pad has tabs on it and should be tight on the caliper to prevent rattling also. If it's loose, bend the tabs slightly until it fits snugly. I have seen the caliper bracket and/or caliper mating surfaces wear enough to cause rattles because the clearance is too big.

Probably not the problem but,,,,,,,check the front suspension (and caliper bracket) fasteners to be sure they haven't come loose. A few years ago I had a clunky rattle that went away when braking. The right side caliper bracket bolts came loose somehow, and applying the brakes put tension on them so the rattle stopped. Just something to look for.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Rocker panel chrome clips are something else to check as mine was making noise because a few clips are broke. It helped, but the only thing that made the front end quiet over bumps was getting rid of the factory calipers; which wasn't cheap.

LSM360

Reaction score
You must make sure you bend the tabs on the pads enough. You may need to bend them enough so that you have to tap the pads on with a rubber mallet. One brake job I had to remove them and bend them more to stop the rattling, but it did stop. Another car, they were rattling, and I planned to remove and bend more, and they stopped on there own. Maybe brake dust filled the tiny gap? But bend those taps so there's enough interference so that you need pliers to press the pads on or a mallet.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That does help squeaking as well as rattling pads since it kind of "glues" the pads to the caliper and piston.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
When your doing all the rest of the stuff run a small bead of the red high temp silicon on the circle flat part of the piston and glaze a small layer on the back of the pads, wipe off excess when you get it together pump the brakes a few times and let it sit overnight.

Back