Front suspension spec question??

BobsTruck54

Reaction score
Hi new to this forum, I have a 54 Dodge Truck, with a stubbed frame. It has an 84 5th Ave front suspension mounted to the rails. The rails are straight with the suspension mounted level to the rails with FirmFeel solid mounts!!
My question.... Are the front ends mounted level in the original cars or are the mounting points at different levels?? Front mounts higher or lower than the rear?? Should the suspension be tilted?? Having some handling issues.. I bought the truck done..

Thanks
Bob
p/s been a Mopar Owner over 40 years!!! wow I'm getting old!!!

Aspen500

Reaction score
The mounting points should be on the same plane (level).

What sort of handling problems do you have?

BobsTruck54

Reaction score
Wandering and touchy steering. Took it to a friend who builds street rods for a living, he seemed to think it need more camber??..upper ball joint moved back. Right now upper and lower ball joint straight up and down. That's why I asked about the mounting points.

Thanks
Bob

Aspen500

Reaction score
You would need more positive caster, that's the "tilt" of the knuckle backwards at the top. There is only so much positive caster you can get with a stock suspension but you want as much as possible while still being able to adjust camber to spec (tilt of the tire in or out at the top). I'm assuming the joints, bushings, etc are all good.

Wandering is also a symptom of a standard steering box, especially if it's worn. Get it on an alignment machine and get as much caster as possible. I've got mine maxed out at about +3.35 and +3.49 degrees. If it still wanders, look into a Firm Feel steering gear. My car wandered and was about undriveable with the overhauled stock gear. Put in a Firm Feel Stage 2 box and it's like a whole different car. Was worth every penny it cost to get one.

Firm Feel Steering Box Rebuilds FMJ-Body

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I know this is old, but looking at mine, it appears the front and rear mounts are not on the same plane perhaps.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to measure mine, but I am pretty sure the front K-frame bolt bottom (to ground) is less than rear K-frame bolt bottom is.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I wonder if Bob ever got his truck handling figured out? He seems to have vanished..............
For what it's worth, I measured 11 1/4" for the front mount and 10 1/2 for the rear (bottom of bolt head to the floor) with poly insulators.

Back