Front Sway Bar Brackets

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been hearing about the front sway bar to frame brackets breaking sometimes. I have a rattle in front of my car which I suspect might be just that.

While at my pull-a-part this morning, I went to get the ones they had available (’88 5th Ave and from ’80 Aspen wagon), as spares.

The R/F bracket was broken on the 5th Ave (nut just spins and bracket is a flopping around. The L/F bracket was ok.

On the Aspen, the R/F bracket was bent (you could see it) and I couldn’t get the nut off (kinda in a hard to get to location) – so I left it. The L/F bracket came off ok.

The bushings were ready to fall off of, on both cars.
20160804_102500.jpg

My question is: does anyone make replacement brackets for these?
Or even better, an heavy duty version?

80mirada

Reaction score
Firm Feel is the only source for heavy duty ones. Stock ones are only available used but Rare Parts may start making them soon

Aspen500

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the originals show std and HD as same p/n for both the link and the strap (came as separate parts) and then they list what's called extra duty (Police/Taxi???)

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if Firm Feel would sell only the brackets?
Guess I’ll haveta call to find out.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
but Rare Parts may start making them soon
Nice to know.
Parts available through MOOG.
How long ago was that?
I looked and found nada for MOOG - except for bushings and the end kits.
For what it's worth, the originals show std and HD as same p/n for both the link and the strap (came as separate parts) and then they list what's called extra duty (Police/Taxi???)
I have seen the same thing.

Attached are pictures of the STD/HD bracket vs. the ED (Extra Duty)/Police bracket.
20160805_100656.jpg

Notice the ED/Police (blue arrow) has a thicker vertical shaft (one on Left). The STD/HD has a loose spacer on it (red arrow)(one on Right).

Note: Standard front sway bar measures 1-1/8" as well as my ‘84 Police front sway bar measures 1-1/8".
The next pictures show the ED/Police bracket on top of the STD/HD bracket.

20160805_100800.jpg

Notice the angle is different where clamp attaches too. ED/Police is on top.

20160805_100821.jpg

As good as I could, the Left side and top is lined up.
20160805_100816.jpg

Notice the bushing hole is smaller.
I'm going to guess the smaller diameter bushing (ED/Police) has less "give" than a larger bushing has (STD/HD).

Note: all bushings were beyond shot on the cars these links (or brackets) came off of.

BudW

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
This picture was swiped from eBay.
It is for same part but for a ’74-79 B-body/’79-81 R-body.

There is another member of a Mopar club I go to who said these brackets will fit on FMJ’s.
I’m going to have to disagree with him.
For one thing, there is not much room in that channel in the K-frame for this style of a bracket.
s-l1600B.jpg

volare 77

Reaction score
I currently have my front sway bar off for cleanup, new bushings and painting. My 77 parts book show the link bar bushing as being only sold with the bar, no mopar replacement part. I bought a
ACDelco 45G0120
and the bushing overall looks smaller. I haven`t removed the old bushings off the bar and now I`m wondering if I should try and reuse them. BTW, My bar only measures 1 inch.

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
In ’77, there were four different front sway bars used.
- 2-door and 4-door standard
- HD and station wagon
- Police (with a production date difference – not sure what)
The bushing would be different in all three/four versions – but not available per this parts guide.
The mention of “w/o Rear Spring Isolators” means Police suspension.
77 Ft Sway Bar D.PNG

77 Ft Sway Bar P1.PNG

77 Ft Sway Bar P2.PNG

In ’84, there were two different front sway bars.
- Standard/HD
- Extra Duty (Police)
It does have part numbers for bushings in ’84 (item # 7).
Note: the inner diameter and outer diameter are both different, between the two different bars.
84 Ft Sway Bar D.PNG

84 Ft Sway Bar P1.PNG

84 Ft Sway Bar P2.PNG

BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
The bushings were original and the part number on them was 4014035. So I should be good to go.

volare 77

Reaction score
Alright, received the bushings today. Now how do you get them over the end of the sway bar. They don`t want to go easily that`s for sure. I tried lubing them

volare 77

Reaction score
Well, I soaked them in boiling water. i got them over the ends but about 6 inches in they completely stopped. I tried wd, soap, silcone, oil and they won`t budge. I guess they cooled down. This sucks as I haven`t even got to the curves yet.

Justwondering

Reaction score
volare77 - don't take this as a wise ass remark, but this sounds like me trying to get compression stockings on my husbands leg. Getting past the heal is more than half the battle.

I've never done what you are doing, but I'm wondering if a heat gun would help get the bushings past the curve....

volare 77

Reaction score
Man, these things don`t want to budge. I put the end of the sway bay in the vise and pulled with all my body weight and no go. I think I `m going to find a tub to put hot water in and try to heat the bushings up again. I was worried the heat gun might burn the bushings but it may be worth a shot.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Be really careful with a heat gun, on those bushings.

I would keep trying boiling hot water (tea pot pouring onto bushings or tea pot hot water poured into your bathtub, maybe.

Get an open end wrench – one that fits around the bar loosely but is not in the best of condition. Place it on the hot bushing and then get a large hammer/mallet and start pounding.
Repeat as needed.

I would highly recommend wearing gloves, for grabbing something that just came out of boiling hot water will burn your skin in a bad way!

Justwondering

Reaction score
So far my heat gun solution has worked on only 1 of 4 problems I've had.
Its probably better for you to try something less agressive first. lol

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have melted items/damaged items with my heat gun – that I didn’t expect to melt with it.
That said, it does a wonderful job with electrical shrink wrap.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I was laughing at your last post, Bud.
My husband hasn't notice the melted section of headliner in the fifth avenue yet.
I was trying to get the contact cement spot gooey so I could 'lift' it with a blot cloth.
Melted it instead... so I need to do the headliner again.

I just sat there in the car and looked up at it in wonder. Sometimes I just amaze myself.

Back