Gasket? power steering nipple to valve

volare 77

Reaction score
Is there a gasket between the power steering box valve housing and the return hose nipple? There wasn`t any when I pulled it apart. It looks like maybe a thin copper one should be there.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes, there should be a sealing washer. Unsure of the material but I would GUESS copper but some sealing washers are steel or aluminum. In the service manual the exploded view shows a washer. The parts catalog doesn't show one but says the hose nipple is "serviced in pkg 40457085" which is the valve and o-ring pkg.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes, there should be a sealing washer. Unsure of the material but I would GUESS copper but some sealing washers are steel or aluminum. In the service manual the exploded view shows a washer. The parts catalog doesn't show one but says the hose nipple is "serviced in pkg 40457085" which is the valve and o-ring pkg.

volare 77

Reaction score
I didn`t see anything in the parts book either. I just went out to a 76 p/s box I had that was OE and it has the angled nipple on it. I removed the nipple to see if it has a washer and it didn`t either. Whats up with that???? Now I`m really confused.

nipple.jpg

volare 77

Reaction score
A guy on moparts checked the ones he has and he said some did and some didn`t have the washer.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a low-pressure area – so a seal or seal ring might not be needed.
Now the other side of that spring (or where adaptor bolts to the valve) – does have pressure behind it.
BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
I was hard to tell if it was leaking there since the box was covered in grease. Should I try and seek out a washer? Or maybe put some teflon tape on the top portion of the threads to make sure it won`t leak.

Back