Gear Ratio's

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Ok, was wondering something on my Volare. It was actually a 4spd car A(A833-od) and for whatever reason was converted to an automatic. (904) Now dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the auto, but I am wondering, how much gearing was given up doing away with the od? The car has the 3.23 7 1/4 " so its kinda 'busy' @ hyway speeds. I would love to put it back to stock, but I dont see the funds for that right now, as i would need everything but the pedals to go back. But I was just wondering if the od was a big difference maker in the over-all final gear ratio...

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Sorry to not answer your question and post another one.
Was thinking of eventually going with 3.23 on my Caravelle
You like or no like?
Thanks.

JGC403

Reaction score
The gear ratios for the 833 OD were:

1st- 3.09:1
2nd- 1.67:1
3rd- 1:1
4th- 0.73:1

With your rear gear 3.23 your final drive ratio would be 2.36:1. Going back to the OD trans would drop your cruising RPM by about 800 rpm.

Since you have a 7 1/4" rear I'm guessing you have a slant 6 or a 318. From the research that I did with the OD trans, some people don't like it because of the 2-3 shift. With a bigger engine its probably not as much of a factor, as with a smaller engine. I am thinking of putting an OD trans behind my 383, haven't done it yet so I don't have any first hand experience with driving with the OD trans.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what to go with.
Super Six with a 904.
Eventually it's getting a new intake, 4 bbl and headers
So I need to factor that in too.

Then there's my 5th. 318 with an A999
Any ideas?
Just leave it alone or would changing them help?

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Sorry to not answer your question and post another one.
Was thinking of eventually going with 3.23 on my Caravelle
You like or no like?
Thanks.

Lol notta prob. I am assuming that you have the auto, and are changing to a lower gear. Its not a big deal but @ 70-75 the lil slant seems busy to me... Maybe not and have just gotten spoiled from all the later model stuff that has an O/D trans and mediocre gearing. Its not nearly as busy as my mustang by any means... (4.56's and top loader 4, lol) but 800 rpms can be a big factor for fuel mileage in the cruising range.. I like the gearing actually. Has a little 'pep' in its step, and I would see where in your case the deeper gear would actually be a help. (size of car v avail power) If I could I would Gear Vendor overdrive it and leave it as an auto.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what to go with.
Super Six with a 904.
Eventually it's getting a new intake, 4 bbl and headers
So I need to factor that in too.

See above post..lol

Then there's my 5th. 318 with an A999
Any ideas?
Just leave it alone or would changing them help?
Not for sure what you are wanting to do with this?

Erics5th

Reaction score
If a 3.23 is to busy for you, a 2.94 ratio will probably make you happy. Same for you Capt. and your 5th will like it to. Had same ratio in the slanted '72 Satellite I used to have. Very good gear for a heavy car/low HP engine. Thats what I have in my 5th (8 3/4 rear end) and will cruse all day at 80. Not as strong in acceleration as a 3.23 or lower gear, but its still good enough that I can spin the tires easy enough.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If a 3.23 is to busy for you, a 2.94 ratio will probably make you happy. Same for you Capt. and your 5th will like it to. Had same ratio in the slanted '72 Satellite I used to have. Very good gear for a heavy car/low HP engine. Thats what I have in my 5th (8 3/4 rear end) and will cruse all day at 80. Not as strong in acceleration as a 3.23 or lower gear, but its still good enough that I can spin the tires easy enough.

Thanks Eric.
Sounds like a happy medium
Even with the plans I have for the slant it's only gonna go so far.
And the 318 is only gonna get the ignition swap and de-smogging.

(sorry for borrowing your thread).

efriedrich

Reaction score
I have the 318 auto 8.25/3.23 in the LeBaron and I really like it. It is much snappier compared to the 318 auto 7.25/2.?? in my 5th ave.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I have the 318 auto 8.25/3.23 in the LeBaron and I really like it. It is much snappier compared to the 318 auto 7.25/2.?? in my 5th ave.

Hey man,
I was on this 3.23 thing
Just not sure how it's gonna sit with a hopped slant and a 904.
???
Eric's got me onto something else now.

Last edited:

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
The gear ratios for the 833 OD were:

1st- 3.09:1
2nd- 1.67:1
3rd- 1:1
4th- 0.73:1

With your rear gear 3.23 your final drive ratio would be 2.36:1. Going back to the OD trans would drop your cruising RPM by about 800 rpm.

Since you have a 7 1/4" rear I'm guessing you have a slant 6 or a 318. From the research that I did with the OD trans, some people don't like it because of the 2-3 shift. With a bigger engine its probably not as much of a factor, as with a smaller engine. I am thinking of putting an OD trans behind my 383, haven't done it yet so I don't have any first hand experience with driving with the OD trans.

Thanks!! well that does enlighten me somewhat. I guess the next logical step would be a tach of some kind. Yes I have the slant. Looks like to me the 1-2 shift would be troublesome as its a real big ratio difference. That being said tho, I may start trying to scrounge up the parts needed... I do still have a 400/727 combo if i really wanted to do that...

egodeath

Reaction score
Ok, was wondering something on my Volare. It was actually a 4spd car A(A833-od) and for whatever reason was converted to an automatic. (904) Now dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the auto, but I am wondering, how much gearing was given up doing away with the od? The car has the 3.23 7 1/4 " so its kinda 'busy' @ hyway speeds. I would love to put it back to stock, but I dont see the funds for that right now, as i would need everything but the pedals to go back. But I was just wondering if the od was a big difference maker in the over-all final gear ratio...
I have the same problem in my stock 76 Volare with auto trans. Seems to wind out a lot at high speeds (over 60), wish there was an economical solution. Any ideas would be welcome!

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I have the same problem in my stock 76 Volare with auto trans. Seems to wind out a lot at high speeds (over 60), wish there was an economical solution. Any ideas would be welcome!
Four speed A815 which would be hard to control, 4 speed 833 tranny and cheaper yet would be like a 2.73 gear in the rear.

Back