Getting old real fast...

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
So I finally got around to swap the intakes on the doba, and felt like trying to use the edelbrock Street master 318 on the car first and I've had nothing but issues with this damn thing. There are the four bolt holes around the base of the intake that sit very close to the runners leading to the base for the carb. Now I've tried using the stock bolts and they hit the runners, so I went a bought a set from work but they ended up to be too short, so I called edelbrock themselves and the guy swears up and that these new bolts will do the trick. So I buy those and now I'm back to square one with the bolts hitting the intake runners again. Im pretty close to giving up on this intake using the factory 360 intake instead. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen some factory mall block 4-bbl intakes that are worthy of "strings of 4-letter words", on those four center (9/16” head) bolts.

One can get a socket on them, but no extension or ratchet (especially when bolt is ½ out). Not enough clearance for an open end wrench – or if you can, its fifty wrench movements per bolt thread (single rotation).

A smaller head bolt or Allen head bolts might do the trick, maybe.

My opinion, I don’t like smaller head bolts on the outer eight intake bolts, because of too much force on a small amount of space can make a “V” in intake after bolt is tightened (more noticeable on aluminum intakes).
The inner bolts, in my opinion, is fair game – use what you can get to fit.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
I never thought of using Allen head bolts for the inner holes on the intake. I had called edelbrock back and there answer to it was grind off some of the runners to make room.... Really? Thats what your tech line is going to tell me!?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have thought about that – but then thought using a die grinder on an intake in a hard to reach recess like that = disaster. Granted it can be fixed but just not worth the risk, IMO.

I’ve seen small head 12 point bolts (like header bolts) used and Allen bolts used, on intakes – but had none of the pleasure of installing either (yet).

My question is why they didn’t make those “areas” easier to reach to begin with. Even grinding a small area so a 3/8” drive extension to get to bolts would be a big help.

One nice thing about the Magnum engines is the vertical intake bolt holes takes care of that problem.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've seen small headed (like 3/8") 12 pt bolts (such as those from ARP) with stainless washers underneath to keep from galling/digging in to the aluminum intake.

This is a problem on many makes of V-type engines including Mopar, Chevy, etc..........Those 4 center bolts:confused: Actually, it's a problem on some inline 4 cyl and 5 cyl engines as well. You have to torque by feel. Use the torque wrench on the outer ones and then see how much it takes to move them a titch, tighten the center ones with a wrench using the same amount of force.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
You would've thought they would have at least positioned them a little bit farther from the holes to make room. I'll have to look into header bolts and the Allen heads. Thanks for the input.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Allen head bolts are a no go, it's doing the same as the factory and 12pt it just goes in cockeyed and hits the intake runner. Im ready to throw this damn intake....

Aspen500

Reaction score
This might be a stupid idea but,,,,,,,,,what about studs? Set the intake on and then screw the studs in and use nuts. Or am I just nuts (because I'm certainly no stud):D

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
I've thought about that. Would header studs work or are there intake studs out there? I tried looking into arp 12pt bolts but couldn't find the specifically for the car.

Aspen500

Reaction score
They may not list the ARP specifically, you'd need to know what size, thread pitch and length you need and order those.
As for studs, there should be something the right size and length out there. If you've got a larger hardware store like Ace in the area, you could check there. I know I've seen a bunch of different studs, grades and material in the fastener aisle at the Ace here. Worth a shot.

Back