Got a J and an M, but no F right now

froomg

Reaction score
Hey everybody. Some of you have already given me some help, but I realized that I haven't taken a moment to officially introduce myself and my Mopars. How rude.

My granddaddy was a Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge dealer in a very small West Virginia town (so small they let him sell all three makes). I was basically raised on the lot from the late 1970s to the early 1980s, so I've got a particular soft spot for the malaise era Mopars that some enthusiasts turn their noses up at. F-bodies, M-bodies and J-bodies are great, and I'll even admit to indulging in a K-cars and all the variants or even an Omnirizon.

At the moment I have in my garage a 1981 Chrysler Cordoba that is all original except the tires and the radiator, front brake pads/rotors and the fittings for the R-134 a/c coolant with only 33k miles on the clock. Powered by a slant 6 with a single-barrel carb, it has a hard time pulling a greased rope downhill, but it's my baby.

I've also got a 1989 Dodge Diplomat Salon AHB that has a little more giddy-up-go with a 4-bbl 318 and all the other cop car goodies. It's a mostly original supervisor's car with one repaint in the factory-correct dark cherry and the miles are documented at 74k. A survivor.

My previous experience with F-M-J bodies includes a 1985 Fifth Avenue, a 1979 Plymouth Volare 4-dr slant 6, a 1977 Plymouth Volare wagon 318, a 1980 Diplomat 2-door slant 6, a 1981 Imperial (technically a Y-body, right?) that I personally owned, plus fifty-eleven F-M-J bodies of every variety that I drove off my granddaddy's car lot over the years.

So, anyway, I'm really glad I've found you all and I look forward to sharing some good times on this site.

Best,
Greg

IMG_2474.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Okay well....
"Officially" welcome aboard.
Your cars look sweet.
The AHB looks deadly.
As you can see in my car list
I own a rip the tires off the rim leaning tower of power myself.

froomg

Reaction score
Thanks! I love the Slant 6, too. Plenty of low-end torque, smooth and those suckers run f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Does your '78 Caravelle's Super Six have solid lifters? My '81 Cordoba has hydraulic lifters, and miss that signature ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka sound.

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Beautiful cars. You mention the \6 in the Cordoba. I remember test driving a 6, before I ordered my Cordoba. I took it out on the highway, and pushed the pedal to the floor. I still remember it. All I heard was a noise, absolutely nothing else happened. I returned the car, and ordered the 318!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Beautiful cars. You mention the \6 in the Cordoba. I remember test driving a 6, before I ordered my Cordoba. I took it out on the highway, and pushed the pedal to the floor. I still remember it. All I heard was a noise, absolutely nothing else happened. I returned the car, and ordered the 318!

LMFAO!!!
Sounds like a Sentra I rented once.
Believe it or not....
My slant ain't gonna go a HEMI but with 91 octane and a little advance on the timing
She's at least peppy.
Don't know what gear is in the rear??? 2.94?
Anyway....she's peppy...

Froomg..pretty sure mine is solid lifter in a 78

froomg

Reaction score
Wouldn't you know it, I'm looking to add an R-body next. I'd love a 1979 New Yorker 5th Ave in the similar two-tone cream paint scheme like my Cordoba. I saw a really nice one on eBay this past week, but I just don't have the room for it right now. I've never had an R-body, though my uncle had an R-body Newport cop car back in the day.

froomg

Reaction score
Love the hidden headlights on the St. Regis -- sorta like a 78-79 Dodge Magnum.

Oh, and I run 91 octane with advanced timing in my slant 6 too. It made a big difference.

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
Awesome rides there. Welcome. 20 years ago, I found one of those early 80 hydro lifter slant6 in a friend's Mirada. A few trips to a local speed shop called Ben Pilla and another called Bud Olsen's got a bigger cam and 4 bbl intake for a few dollars at the time. Woke that 225 buzz'n half dozen up and it became known as a leaning tower of power. The 7 1/4 did not like life much after that and left the game. There is just no cure for a mopar infection is there?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Awesome rides there. Welcome. 20 years ago, I found one of those early 80 hydro lifter slant6 in a friend's Mirada. A few trips to a local speed shop called Ben Pilla and another called Bud Olsen's got a bigger cam and 4 bbl intake for a few dollars at the time. Woke that 225 buzz'n half dozen up and it became known as a leaning tower of power. The 7 1/4 did not like life much after that and left the game. There is just no cure for a mopar infection is there?

Buzz'n half dozen....love it. :icon_thumright:

Pete

Reaction score
Nice cars! There is an episode of WKRP in Cincinatti where the character herb drives the same colour Cordoba. the episode is called real families. i loved that show back in the day! it was an 80 Cordoba

froomg

Reaction score
If the car looks half as good in person as in the pictures, that's a pretty decent price. I wonder what's hiding under the car covers behind it.

mirada80

Reaction score
People shouldn't be allowed to cover their cars in pictures....lol.... The red cover looks like an E body under it, from looking at the second picture. can't really tell anything else.

Back