Great Cosmic Joke

Justwondering

Reaction score
Today - 17 May 2016 - a day to remember...

It started with husband struggling to breathe. Check the oxygen lines, water trap, everything is okay. Ah, storms are nearing. So humidity is 98% and barometric pressure is building. No wonder he can't breathe. We sit and talk calmly, take deeper breaths, soon as the rain starts his breathing improves. Back to bed.

About 5:30, the lightning and thunder hit. The skitzy brittany spaniel (Texas Ranger) whines and claws at the door. Back up, go turn on the light and wake up the other two dogs. Sit in the chair and explain to the dog that he's gonna be fine. He curls up on the floor and goes to sleep. Recline the chair, try to doze off.

Now its 6:10, outside cat is screaming. I'm wet, let me in, I'm hungry why do you like the dogs more than me. Let the cat in, feed the cats. Dogs think its time to eat. Feed the Aussie (Mister) and the Heinz 57 (Tater) outside. Feed Texas Ranger inside.

Everybody eats, Texas Ranger goes out. All dogs go downstairs and start roaming the field. I stand here debating my next move. What's that? Dog yelping. Not barking. Damn. That can't be good.

Texas Ranger hits the stairs and comes to the door. In he comes, curls up by chair and stares at me. Its all good.

Mister and Tater come running out of the woods and hit the stairs. I open the door and let them in. Shut the door and turn around and 'oh lord - it reeks'. SKUNK!

Put Mister and Tater back outside.

My next move is to reduce the smell. What is under the sink I can use? Lets see... Bleach (nope). Lemon Oil Polish (nope). Febreze ?? well that might work. I start spraying. Seems to be coming out in big drops instead of a fine mist. Where are my glasses??

I just sprayed the front room with Febreze fabric conditioner. Everything is softer now. Everything reeks of skunk and febreze. Gag. Open the window. Turn on the a/c. Look at the front door. Tater is foaming at the mouth. Great.

Put up the Febreze fabric conditioner. Go get the big can of tomato soup. Its not there. Crap. Okay, do I have any small cans of tomato soup. Nope. I have spaghetti sauce. Big internal debate. Nope. Not wasting the sauce. Keep looking... Two cans of tomato paste. Perfect. Open one and put it in the plastic container with water.

Go outside, down the stairs, douse Tater with tomato water. He thinks this is great. Dowse Mister with tomato. He thinks this sucks. Rinse them with water from the frog pond. Dowse them again. Rinse them again. Dry them with the old green towel.

At this point, I realize I've been standing in fire ants.

I know this because I have hundreds of little black dots on my shoes and pants legs. I know this because my feet and ankles are stinging like mad. First smart move is to get out of the ant hill. Stomp and brush off as many ants as I can. Back upstairs, more stomping before I go in the house. Take off shoes and beat them on the veranda to get the ants off.

Back inside and continue killing ants and generally making a freaking dirt mess at the front door. Did I mention that it rained earlier? Yes, now its a mud fest at the front door. Dogs are scratching to get in the house. No. I am not letting you in. You still reek. It reeks in here. Now I reek and my feet and ankles are covered in bites.

Its now 7 in the morning. I hope you all have less interesting start to your day. LOL

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Oh my !!!!! Things will get better ......... I mean, how could they not? Prayers for your husband and sainthood for you !!

Justwondering

Reaction score
Just the law of averages catching up with me. Had a most excellent Monday. Tuesday- not so much. I have feet of clay so I'll stay off the sainthood mountain. Husband will be getting eggs, toast and decaf for breakfast when he gets up. I'm thinking a nap at lunchtime is a possibility.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Here, skunks are called 'swamp kitty's and we have them here.
One was on the lawn last Wed at 2am when I went out.

When Simcoe 'discovered' this town, he really liked swamp and skunks.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Tater is young dog... got dumped out here on the highway last fall at about 10 weeks old. There are many things he has not seen. He now knows that a skunk is. He did not like the experience.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Hang in there kiddo.

It was bad day Tuesday here, as well. To much story to type; but eventually I survived it all to fight another day.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Ah Darth - let me know if I can help... I continue to inhale skunk odor... Its all through the front room...

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
And I thought I had a bad day.
I had two guys call in sick on me on one of the busiest days in a long time.

But after hearing your story it wasn't all that bad. I'm thinking you've earned an adult beverage or three.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Wish I could adult beverage, but tomorrow is doctor visit (2 hours each way). Have to leave early, so I'll wait to celebrate either the chrysler or the suburban a/c success depending on which gets done first.

Back