Has anyone on here ever put a 528 Hemi in a Volare?

droptop

Reaction score
I have seen a B engine in an F body before, but never an RB. I will be watching your progress with this project.

Kernel Sanders

Reaction score
if you have a stock brake booster, you will likely have to change it out for a smaller one (like from a K-car) or go manual or custom valve covers. Just something to think about

edit: Sorry this is for an RB, I have no idea about the hemi

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
RBs fit fine, with the right engine mounts. There was a very old article from Mopar Action (think early-mid 1990s, could be off on that) that had an engine swap article that put an RB into a Mirada. Everything was in place: power steering, power brakes, Air conditioning, cruise control. Stock hood, no scoops or carbs sticking through the hood. Weight difference was low enough that only the ride height adjuster needed to be tweaked. I think if this were done today, using a low rise aluminum intake manifold, aluminum heads, and moving the battery to the trunk would address at least half of the weight increase between the small block and the big block.

Hemis are heavier and wider than the RBs, so I don't know about the weight or fit issues, and I don't recall seeing any swap articles. Doesn't mean that is isnt' possible though, or that somebody hasn't already done it.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
engine appears to sit quite high on both of these installs.
To me, the engine sits about the right height. The rest of the front end is sittling low (on the last one).

B and RB’s fit fine – with exception of brake booster and in some cases, the K-frame might need to be notched for oil pump (or light metal massaging with a sledge) if needed.

A Hemi would need headers to fit by the steering gear (I would think).

Would need to find some fashion for engine mounts, I don’t think anyone has made Hemi to Spool type engine mounts/brackets, yet (that I recall).

With the above issues resolved, and using a stock height intake, it should fit under the stock hood (. . . I think)

The 7¼” and 8¼” differential would be out of the question.

Traction might be hard to control.
BudW

Greg55_99

Reaction score
You're also going to need subframe connectors or you'll get wrinkles in your "C" pillar and left quarter panel when you romp on it.

hemichuck

Reaction score
This wagon is more of a rat rod, brush painted, already has electric fuel pump, line lock, and a 9 1/4 with 3.55 sure grip from a Dakota R/T. Changing to manual steering and brakes is no problem. The 528 I have is all aluminum so weight shouldn't be a big problem. Definitely need sub frame connectors and possibly a cage. I'm wondering if A body headers are the same. I might just do elephant ears for mounting.

Back