Heater blower motor

/6Volare

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm having an issue with the blower motor in my son's 77 volare working intermittently. When it works its great but it will stop working without reason. I changed the switch yesterday and it seemed to solve the issue until this afternoon. The fan makes no unusual noise. Hard to resolve when its random. Irs a pretty simple system.
Any thoughts?
Jeff

/6Volare

Reaction score
Contacts all seem good. Havnt found any loose wires.
Possible that the motor works intermittently from faulty / aged winding? How difficult is it to remove heater box to change out the fan?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
What 80Mirada said pretty much sums it up:
Loose ground, corroded connectors, thermal resistor failing, or a bad spot in the motor contacts/bad brushes
The switch might be the most likely cause – but you said you already changed that.
The other “main” components of that system is the blower resistor and blower motor.

The blower resistor usually is either good or bad – and not intermittent.

The wiring harness (including connectors/connections and ground connection) and blower motor can be intermittent.

You didn’t mention what year car or with or without A/C – so instructions to getting to the blower motor can be properly given.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
If not done already, look at the resistor connector and be sure there isn't a melted terminal. I've seen that before and it can cause sporadic fan operation.

Back