Heater control cable

slant6billy

Reaction score
Got the new heater core in and the dash reassembled. I went to slide the control on the AC/Heat dash unit and it is stuck on heat (to the right). I thought it worked prior to the core replacement. Perhaps I damaged it on removal. I can move the arm (blend door) on the heater box, so I'm pretty sure the cable is fubar. It looks like it has bent right at the controls. Are these available NOS? Will the cable be the same as other mopars?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Can't remember where but I just read about cables recently.
I THINK Jim had some or one...or...something.
Might wanna check with him.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'm going to disconnect down on the door arm. I think or I hope there isn't an issue inside on the blend door

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
There's at least 3 different cables for the 76-80 a/c equipped cars.
There's a color coding to them...sort of.
I have a few nice used ones in stock.
There are some NOS on EBAY and they can be a bit pricey.

slant6billy

Reaction score
There's at least 3 different cables for the 76-80 a/c equipped cars.
There's a color coding to them...sort of.
I have a few nice used ones in stock.
There are some NOS on EBAY and they can be a bit pricey.

Let me dig into it and verify a few things. I'll be hitting you with a PM if it is the cable. My fear is the door is stuck inside the box.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Door arm checks out SAT. Cable was inspected out of the dash and with a little WD40 seems to operate. It was bound up and needed to be routed between the duct work (headed to the driver's left vent) and the defroster ductwork. The eye on the end of the cable at the control lever must have widened, now it jumps of the arm. I had to secure it with a tie wire knot.
So it works, but dash is back apart.

greymouser7

Reaction score
Got the new heater core in and the dash reassembled. I went to slide the control on the AC/Heat dash unit and it is stuck on heat (to the right). I thought it worked prior to the core replacement. Perhaps I damaged it on removal. I can move the arm (blend door) on the heater box, so I'm pretty sure the cable is fubar. It looks like it has bent right at the controls. Are these available NOS? Will the cable be the same as other mopars?

yeah these are available on Ebay, Jim IS a better bet as the eBay ones are no returns even if it is broken

Aspen500

Reaction score
There's supposed to be a metal push clip on both the control lever and the blend door crank arm to keep the cable eyes secured.

If memory serves, the door end uses something similar to the pic, the control end is a rectangular piece, part number 6029 889 "nut".

This is it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Mopar-6029889-NUT-/350870135620

HW-35.jpg

Last edited:

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score

I bought mine from Jim was a good transaction. Mine was broke right at the bent section that hooks to the slider on the switch it self. At the other end of the cable you will either have a flat clip or a clip with a bottom on it for mounting to the heater box. Also AC and non AC plays a part in the cables design itself.

Last edited:
Back