Hello everybody!

jbergmopes

Reaction score
Name is Jerry. Jbergmopes is my handle. I'm a MOPAR OR NO CAR kind of guy. I just acquired a 1982 Mirada that needs alot of work but I got it cheap. I also own a 1993 Daytona that I'm trying to refit with a new 3.6 V6 from a Challenger for an all- Mopar FWD. I own two Dodge motor homes; One is a 1977 27' w/318 just for gettin' out; the other is a 35' airport shuttlebus that I've stripped to the 2-ton chassis and am converting into a car hauler w/440 that I would like to convert to a 6.9 12 valve diesel. I drive a 2002 Sebring convert that just cracked 100 grand and runs like new. As you can tell, got a lot of projects in the works. To the Mirada: I cannot find the company that used to offer rear fender extensions. Mine are pretty badly dry-rotted. Any suggestions?

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
Welcome to the site...you can get the rear fender extensions at Replica Plastics in Dothan AL (800)873-5871...I bought the two end pieces (L/R) from them and not the middle because mine was good, but then I spent the extra $39 to get their center piece just to make it all line up better across the bumper. Post a photo of your car...I've got an '80

jbergmopes

Reaction score
Thanks for the fine welcome, guys! I was really excited to find this site. My Mirada is pretty dogged out; sitting in a west Texas carport for over twenty years. The silver paint is blown off as is the black faux convertible top but the glass inserts and all there and the trim is in great shape. Body is cherry except for those rear extensions.

jbergmopes

Reaction score
Thanks for the hookup to VFN, Megacab. I am a glass and resin man so I'm going to get that one piece rear clip. I have to do something with that fugly rear 5mph bumper. It is so out of character with the rest of the car. I was going to make my own front end clip out of glass but I think I'll buy theirs instead. Has anybody looked into a later model Magnum 5.9 motor. I have access to one at a righteous price!

jbergmopes

Reaction score
I've had people tell me not to get rid of that chrome clunker on the back of the car but I saw a NHSTA vid of a Mirada taking a concrete-rolling wall up the rear at 35mph; near bent the car in half. Put the rear wheels under the package tray!! That "bumper" will only save the car from just that.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
The VFN stuff is thin race weight fiberglass and just like any fiberglass part requires work to get a proper appearance.

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
Plus the tag bucket is not deep enough on the VFN piece...and don't forget, there is a gas tank just a few inches away from that fiberglass bumper piece. I've seen the rear bumpers painted the same color as the car and it's not too bad, but as ugly as the bumper may be to some, it's the reason the car in the video wasn't on fire from an exploding gas tank. If you go 'glass in the front and rear, I'm up for buying any factory parts that you don't want or need...

R/T Mirada

Reaction score
Welcome to the party. Did you have to go all the way to Texas to get the car or was it all ready in Mesa? I had to go to Las Cruces to find mine. Are you going to smog it every year or go the collector car insurance route?

jbergmopes

Reaction score
I get the message, High Speed...but like I said, I'm a glass-man and reinforcing the VFN piece is a no-brainer. I'm serioudly considering the deck lid as well. Tubing and foam can be glassed to the inside and it will work near as well as the stocker. You get some light-lift gas shocks instead of the hinges. As for the bumper I'd do it like a modern car with a steel channel/bar piece and foam/glass to fit. It will be some work but I think it would be worth the effort. I need to put toghether some cas first. I'm just out from under a year-long IRS bashing!

jbergmopes

Reaction score
I had the car shipped to Mesa, R/T. Cost me More than the car, but it was worth it because as a non-op. vehicle, Reuben, the youngster with the transport company that brought it over here, had to winch it on and off the truck. This car has not even been started in over 20 years. My buddy has a bad-ass 24-valve Dodge 2500 and he offered to go with me to Amarilo to get her. We figured out the gas eats and rooms and could not do it for the $550 Reuben charged me. Where the hell is Youngtown??

Back