HELP, Headlight Adjustment Anchors.

David Clark

Reaction score
So I ordered 8 of these from Rock Auto, Dorman Parts that supposedly replace the Ones in there currently that are shot to hell. Replacing them in the Diplomat and I have pushed 3 of them in so far and each one of the wings have broken off on each of them before they get fully seated. As soon as I press down on them (with my thumb, not a tool) the wings snap off and then it slides through the hole.

Am I doing something wrong???
IMG_2424.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
I doubt you are doing anything wrong. If they're Dorman, it probably says "Made in China" on the package. Chances are, the plastic is just too brittle. Have run into that at work with China plastic parts that are supposed to snap in. Soon as you put any pressure on it, they break into 100 pieces.

You're best bet is to try and find some good used ones or NOS. Either NOS Mopar or NOS aftermarket that weren't made in China.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I doubt you are doing anything wrong. If they're Dorman, it probably says "Made in China" on the package. Chances are, the plastic is just too brittle. Have run into that at work with China plastic parts that are supposed to snap in. Soon as you put any pressure on it, they break into 100 pieces.

You're best bet is to try and find some good used ones or NOS. Either NOS Mopar or NOS aftermarket that weren't made in China.

Agreed.
Made in China almost always means Made to break.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
We did that with all our small plastic parts ... they came boxed in plastic bags and we always sprinkled them with water then re wrapped them especially for the week-ends in winter ........ our summers were humid enough (like now) I can see how hot water would speed the flexibility up to a couple hours

David Clark

Reaction score
Well Damn, now I am 3 Short on the 8 that I need to replace from the breaking LOL. Will Try the Hot water thing and pick up a couple more from Orielly's next time I am there, They have the Dorman ones too but at a much Higher price than Rock Auto's price which is why I ordered the 8 from them instead. Plus Front door delivery still cheaper than what Oreilly's wanted for 4 of them LOL.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Rock Auto is good on price. Difference is, from a local parts store you can have what you need that day instead of 3 or 4 days later (plus the added bonus of keeping the money local).

Justwondering

Reaction score
david - I'm surprised rock auto isnt about the same price as oreilly's when you add in their shipping.

I tried the rock auto route but the shipping brought the price to within a few dollars of a local buy. Especially when you add in the cost of gas to make a run to town for the parts.

David Clark

Reaction score
Our nearest Auto Store is in Belle Fourche, 70 Miles away. Costs a bit more than a couple bucks to run in for parts along with a minimum of 2 hours costs too. The Fuel tank we got for the Aspen was a good 30 bucks cheaper than the Local Stores. And when you live paycheck to paycheck, cheapest prices gets my money. Oreilly's may be a Local Store, but it's not keeping the money very local when it's a National Chain if you ask me. The Mom and Pop Auto parts store is Sooo outrageously priced (2-3 times higher than ANYONE else) that I just can't afford to use them. If I need one or two items I will shop local, but if I need 8 or more, then whoever is cheaper gets my business.

Justwondering

Reaction score
lowbudget ... so you work in a desert and your idea was to cook the plastic, somehow that seems appropriate.

Justwondering

Reaction score
david:
you just live farther (I'm only 50 miles round trip). But I hear what you are saying. I never used to factor in gas cost, but when it got to $4 a gallon and more I made it a habit to include that in any purchase I make.

Master M

Reaction score
Rock Auto has good prices but sometimes they have really old stock. So that could be a reason the plastic is so brittle.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If working on a project that I know will take me a few days to complete (or to start), I generally will always get parts shipped in (eBay, RockAuto, etc).
If working on a current repair or breakdown - always will be local (I have an O’reilly Auto and Advance Auto less than ½ mile from me). The O’reilly Auto regional warehouse is about 1½ miles from me.

David Clark

Reaction score
Had an Emergency Engine Issue on My Swather Wednesday, Coil went out (And still haven't fixed it) and was in town and Stopped at Orielly's for the Coil. Big Damn Mistake. 25 bucks and change was their cheapest one versus 6 Bucks for one at Rock Auto. When ya Live Paycheck to Paycheck, This SUCKS lolol

Back