HELP! Looking for a Carter Carb Dashpot - Lean Burn 318 engine

johnnyride

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I replaced my Carter Carb with a rebuilt Autoline C6216. Swapped right in, but we're struggling to keep it going at idle. Looks like the dashpot is misbehaving (had to swap that over).

I have the 318 Lean Burn (yes, still have it) in my 81 Cordoba Convertible and I'm wondering is there something out there that I can use in place of the OEM dashpot? Pic included of current dashpot.

Thanks and any help is appreciated.

NOTE - I did find the Carter part for a 4BBL. It looks similar, but not sure: Carter 213-99. And looks like Carter 213-3108/3118 or Carter 213-166A are similar

John

dashpot.jpg

Last edited:

johnnyride

Reaction score
BIG THANKS! Great idea with eBay. The one you suggested wasn't exact, but looks like I found one on eBay - Carter 213-217. Mine is for Lean Burn, so notice the connector in the back left of my picture when you follow the wire. This one looks right on. Let's hope it works. Thanks again!

Carter 213-217.jpg

Last edited:

johnnyride

Reaction score
Got the part and it fit right in.

Car still doesn't want to stay running unless you are on the gas. Just won't keep running. Anyone have any ideas why this thing keeps stalling? By the way, it's the car below, so it's a shame I'm missing out on summer. Could it be that darn Lean Burn computer?

John

1981 cordoba convertible.jpg

johnnyride

Reaction score
Yes, it is. That's the next thing to try, but it didn't seem to help the first time.

UPDATE: Tried to adjust again - no luck. Will keep exploring. I have a buddy who's a mechanic and he thinks it may be something in the distributor. He also thinks it's time to bypass the Lean Burn. And it may be.

Last edited:

johnnyride

Reaction score
No, I haven’t. It supposedly was set when I bought the carb. Never done that before but I will mess with it when I get a chance. Thanks

Aspen500

Reaction score
Another possible cause. Do you have an EGR valve? If so, make sure it has no vacuum at idle. They also can get stuck partially open and cause the engine to stall at idle. Same as a vacuum leak only a bit worse because of the exhaust gas.

Back