Hey do any of you wagon owners know what I have to take off to change the rear side marker light?

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
Do any wagon owners know what I have to take off to change the rear side marker?

IMG_20180929_170350533.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I do but why do you have to ask the question in such big letters, are you that special?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I would imagine if you pull the interior trim panel off, you can access the light. Then it's just a matter of the 2 pal nuts.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
This picture was taken from Passenger side rear.
20181004_185515r.jpg

If applicable, open the side cargo door. You will see a cover (marked by white arrow). Remove cover.

There are two thin stamped steel nuts, Aspen500 calls them Pal nuts – that hold the lamp on.

My recommendation is to loosen both nuts (1/2” size hex, if I recall correctly) – but do not remove nuts fully. Either insert hand or use something magnetic to finish removing the nuts.
They tend to fall into never-never land before reaching your fingertips, otherwise.

Once both nuts are removed, go outside of car and gently pull marker lamp away from car.
Once done, then unscrew the light socket (CCW to remove, CW to tighten – ¼ turn each way). I have found if lamp pigtail is outside of car it is faster and a lot easier than trying to fish for the pigtail inside of that small inspection hole (ask me how I know this).

Before installing new lamps, I like to take one of your stamped steel nuts and screw starter threads onto your new lamp studs – about ½ way down. It is easier to do it now then when trying to inside of that hole – while not trying to lose your nuts in the process. Applying some masking tape to outside of car and lamp aids that procedure, on a wagon.
The 2 and 4-door cars, you can hold the lamp in place and have a lot of space to install the nuts, without tape.
The wagons – not so much, with the rear interior trim panel in place.

These lamps are being re-poped and they fit a wide range of cars and trucks. If it says Dodge and if it looks like this – then it does fit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Plymouth-Rear-Signal-Side-Marker-Light-Lamp-Lens-Housing-Assembly-DOT/302837269351?fits=Year%3A1977%7CMake%3APlymouth&hash=item4682820367:g:Q68AAOSw7FJblxcV

Be sure to always a good idea to install a new bulb when you have the lamp removed. It is a lot easier to do both at same time, than to change the bulb a few months later.
BudW

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
This picture was taken from Passenger side rear.
View attachment 31641
If applicable, open the side cargo door. You will see a cover (marked by white arrow). Remove cover.

There are two thin stamped steel nuts, Aspen500 calls them Pal nuts – that hold the lamp on.

My recommendation is to loosen both nuts (1/2” size hex, if I recall correctly) – but do not remove nuts fully. Either insert hand or use something magnetic to finish removing the nuts.
They tend to fall into never-never land before reaching your fingertips, otherwise.

Once both nuts are removed, go outside of car and gently pull marker lamp away from car.
Once done, then unscrew the light socket (CCW to remove, CW to tighten – ¼ turn each way). I have found if lamp pigtail is outside of car it is faster and a lot easier than trying to fish for the pigtail inside of that small inspection hole (ask me how I know this).

Before installing new lamps, I like to take one of your stamped steel nuts and screw starter threads onto your new lamp studs – about ½ way down. It is easier to do it now then when trying to inside of that hole – while not trying to lose your nuts in the process. Applying some masking tape to outside of car and lamp aids that procedure, on a wagon.
The 2 and 4-door cars, you can hold the lamp in place and have a lot of space to install the nuts, without tape.
The wagons – not so much, with the rear interior trim panel in place.

These lamps are being re-poped and they fit a wide range of cars and trucks. If it says Dodge and if it looks like this – then it does fit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Plymouth-Rear-Signal-Side-Marker-Light-Lamp-Lens-Housing-Assembly-DOT/302837269351?fits=Year%3A1977%7CMake%3APlymouth&hash=item4682820367:g:Q68AAOSw7FJblxcV

Be sure to always install a new bulb when you have the lamp removed. It is a lot easier to do both at same time, than to change the bulb a few months later.
BudW
Thanks, I Have the light, but did not see any access panel. I shall look again.

Back