Hi guys! New member, first post! A couple of 318 in an M-body questions :)

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
So first off, let me start by saying this is my Nan's 1988 Chrysler 5th. Her and my Pop bought it brand new in '88 and I have been in and around it since I was born in '90. I am and always have been in absolute love with the M body :) Since the day I rode home from the hospital in it! Anyhow my grand father passed in 97, and my grandmother has done her best with it over the years.. but these latest years have shown higher medical bills for her son (my uncle) and less time and care for the old Chrysler. So, with its aging ELB system still fully stock and somewhat fully operational up until this point it has been just fine.
2014-04-05151225_zpse05cad5e.jpg
This past year has seen it began to run VERY poorly, have intermittent stalling (which actually caused a fender bender) poor fuel mileage, low power and overall just shitty running. I drove two hours to her house to pick the old girl up to bring it home for what I told her would be a week tops.. lol that was over a month ago. It was originally just going to be checking it over and seeing what I could do. Brought it in to the shop and did a full tune up, repaired vacuum hoses, fluids change all that jazz. Running was much better and power was up (the tune-up was years past due) but it still had intermittent crappy running and poor fuel mileage.
2014-04-05151238_zps1e27ece6.jpg
2014-04-05151252_zpse36a5273.jpg
This was quite literally my first ever view, reading, research or anything to do with the Chrysler ELB. So I dove in head first! Basically, from my brief learning.. there is basically no-way to test or confirm the ELB system with any conceivable budget, replace the high dollar parts and not be guaranteed to fix it? No thank-you lol. It was then decided to do away with the ELB system.. I have gotten the 66991 kit with the orange ECU box. Am getting an Edelbrock performer 4v intake.. but I need a carburetor. Suggestions? I am leaning towards a TQ off an older 4v Chrysler for linkage hookup compatibility.
2014-04-07142805_zpsd96eca5c.jpg
2014-04-14154911_zps1683fe5c.jpg
2014-04-15073251_zpsfa558903.jpg
2014-04-15073803_zpsdc61ed43.jpg
2014-04-19182725_zps82f7d98c.jpg
2014-04-19182745_zps917228b7.jpg
2014-04-19182825_zpsf3a49508.jpg
2014-04-19182838_zps9ec3147d.jpg
2014-04-19182845_zpsf9752c2c.jpg

brotherGood

Reaction score
When doing the conversion, I've seen more use the edelbrock 1406. You're going with a square bore intake, and this is a good carb. It has electric choke too.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Welcome friend. I second BrotherGood. A new Edelbrock 1406 with electric choke. That performer intake is a nice low rise and bottom end torque item. Go with the Edelbrock 1481 mopar linkage adapter and the edelbrock throttle cable post screw/bolt(part no????)- it is available at summit racing. Very good and easy set up and reliable street use.

I dig that rear bumper spare tire continental kit. For a 24 year old kid - you have one cool ride. Don't goober it up with larger wheels. Those factory spokes are killer. Mopar was trying to stay elegant with that 5th and they hit the mark. That is a good color too, you have.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Nice car. elb distributor has a dual pickup. start mode and run mode I think. One may be bad. Also check that the egr valve is not stuck and that it opens and closes fully.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
This is a single pickup dizzy in this car, weird part is that it always STARTS and IDLES just perfectly.. As soon as you get off the mechanical idle circuitry it bogs, but only sometimes. And you can here it popping and possibly shooting back through the carb. Overly advanced timing at those times? The Chrysler performer intake I have purchased is a spread bore one, unfortunately. I actually thought the 1406 Eddies were spread bore too, guess I was looking at something else.. It would seem one can get 70's 400 or 440 Thermo Quads for relatively cheap.. I don't have a huge budget here to be dropping $400 on a carb unfortunately. There are other things that need addressed as well.. I'd love to do it up right;Bore 0.040 over, mill the deck, run flat top pistons to up CR, p&p some 360 heads, fir 2.02" intake valves, cam/springs, Eddie AIR GAP, headers, duals, 850 TQ.. And make a respectable 410-415hp.http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/viewall.html

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Well it is kind of making me look like an illiterate bum. One who cannot make proper sentences with a keyboard.. lol

I phoned National Moparts and he says he has about 1.5 million thermo quads there, but I cannot make it down today so Monday morning I will be making a trip to Beaverton ;) Hopefully picking up 1 or 3 of those if he will let them go at garage sale prices considering he's probably been sitting on them for 15 years or more.. lol

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well it is kind of making me look like an illiterate bum. One who cannot make proper sentences with a keyboard.. lol

I phoned National Moparts and he says he has about 1.5 million thermo quads there, but I cannot make it down today so Monday morning I will be making a trip to Beaverton ;) Hopefully picking up 1 or 3 of those if he will let them go at garage sale prices considering he's probably been sitting on them for 15 years or more.. lol

LMAO!!
Don't be expecting any lawn sale deals.
Nigel will sit on those for 50 years before he lets them go for dirt.

Say hi to Scott for me while you're there....

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I don't know who I talked to on the phone, sounded like a younger man.. I hate people who sit on things for no reason lol. "One day these will make me a million dollars, I know it" ;)

He recommended an Eddie and a square bore intake.. but that jsut isn't in the funds. Sadly :(.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I don't know who I talked to on the phone, sounded like a younger man.. I hate people who sit on things for no reason lol. "One day these will make me a million dollars, I know it" ;)

He recommended an Eddie and a square bore intake.. but that jsut isn't in the funds. Sadly :(.

Nigel's the owner.
He's a really good guy but he doesn't sell anything for what you'd call cheap.
He knows that someday someone's gonna want "that" part and it ain't like they're making them anymore. Parts for our cars are only going to become more valuable and he knows it.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
i would try to find some sort of 800 CFM TQ that has a vacuum port. Send it off to a rebuilder who knows them (in Ontario, try http://www.carbrebuilders.com/index.htm out of Toronto, not sure how far Orillia is from TO), but the other board members have a specific guy who is supposed to be tops, but he is in the US. Make sure that either of these rebuilders know that you want it set up for a stock 318, and will be using ethanol blended fuel. I was quoted $225 for a rebuild on the TQ in my 1980 CMX. Adding a vacuum port is extra, which is why I recommended getting a TQ with one up front. You may be able to find TQs in junkyards, or on Kijiji (I found one in Edmonton, $60 plus $12 for shipping for a model 9801 in good to very nice shape). Being a spreadbore, it should fit perfectly on your Performer intake.

Kostas

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
As long as the TQ came off an 80's truck it should have had a conventional mechanical ignition with vacuum advance dizzy right?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Conventional ELECTRONIC ignition (i.e. no points), no ELB/ESA stuff on the trucks, and try to get both the carb and distributor.

Carb would need a rebuild most likely, and you will need to replace the cap and rotor in the distributor. If you are having it rebuilt, make sure the rebuilder knows that you will use ethanol blend gas, so he replaces the floats with the correct ones, and makes sure that the replacement gaskets can stand up to ethanol. You may want to replace the fuel lines with those designed for fuel injection, as they would be teflon lined, and won't get eaten up by the ethanol. You will need a vacuum line between the port on the carb and the distributor.

Kostas

Back