Hidden/Stealth Head Unit in Mirada

moreada

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to leave the stock radio in my dash and install an aftermarket head unit that is not visible to people passing by. Anyone tried this? If so, what locations would you suggest? The usual dash and centre console are too small in our cars and I'd rather not chop anything crazy. Thanks in advance.

Joe12459

Reaction score
There are several available with a main unit that mounts under the dash or seat, and a small control head that can go in the glove box or center console.

moreada

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Most people just use the standard DIN opening, but I am stubborn as you are probably starting to learn haha.

Our glove box is about 4" deep so I am not sure it will be much use. I am hoping to work with one head unit that has a detachable faceplate and rig up an extension. This way I can mount under seat and control from a panel mounted either in console or dash, or as a remote. We shall see where this takes me. My concern is driving the faceplate over a distance as the extension may not have the amperage etc to work over a long lead as opposed to a direct connection.

Joe12459

Reaction score
The units I've seen use a faceplate/head unit that's less than an inch deep, made specifically to mount in the glove box. Check out classiccarstereos.com

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Most people just use the standard DIN opening, but I am stubborn as you are probably starting to learn haha.

Our glove box is about 4" deep so I am not sure it will be much use. I am hoping to work with one head unit that has a detachable faceplate and rig up an extension. This way I can mount under seat and control from a panel mounted either in console or dash, or as a remote. We shall see where this takes me. My concern is driving the faceplate over a distance as the extension may not have the amperage etc to work over a long lead as opposed to a direct connection.

I wouldn't worry too much about amperage drop. Unless you're extending it over miles of cable it's going to be practically zero

jasperjacko

Reaction score
i like putting the money under the hood and making THAT my music. lol

moreada

Reaction score
If I didn't have a stereo in my car, I'd have to start singing in public, and nobody deserves that.

I am going to attempt something a little crazy.

Going to mount my head unit under seat, and fashion an umbilical cord to allow me to mount the faceplate control in the armrest. At least that's my plan haha. For all the room we have in our cars, its crazy how small the storage spaces are.

Aspen500

Reaction score
There's also this one. The only 1.5 DIN on the market as far as I know. Always thought it was odd since 1.5 DIN was used on '74-'00 Mopar, '68-'02 GM and '79-'91 Ford so you'd think there would be more radios made in that size. A single DIN in a 1.5 DIN space looks bad and,,,,,,,,,,95% of the stereos made now just look bad period. I mean, the styling sucks (JMO)

http://www.retrosound.com/product-p/newport.htm

moreada

Reaction score
I feel like their attempts are noble but they don't pull it off. They still look out of place. That's why i want to totally hide mine. I would rather a useless stock unit in my dash than putting the modern one there.

I ordered the connectors to make my umbilical and am hoping it works, but i need to prove the concept before implementing anything.

My dash speakers will be interesting to install as I am wondering how much the grille area will affect HF on a modern driver. Could never really tell with the stock ones.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Aside from I rarely turn the radio on in the Aspen anyways, that's the reason I've got the original stock AM/FM 4 speaker stereo in the dash with it's massive 4 watts of power. No new radio "looks right". The Retro Sound one is the only radio that would look even close to fitting in. New speakers make the original radio sound OK but it's not even close to the stock AM/FM in my Dakota with the original speakers, and it has the base 4 speaker stereo (no Infinity or anything).

Miradaman

Reaction score
I saw a company that advertised in Mopar Action, and Mopar Muscle, that would put an electronic stereo in your stock faceplate. Don't remember the name of company though.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Just another option for you: Most any of the Mopar square radios from up to about 1998 will bolt right in. The look "right", sound good, and are very easy to wire up. Even better, there are sellers on eBay who modify them with a nice 1/8" stereo input. I used this extra input to direct-wire satellite radio into mine:

Back