1. Trey

Trey Member

One thing on our new Cordoba that doesn't work are the horn buttons and my car won't pass inspection without a horn. I have looked the last couple days and haven't had any luck locating any. I would assume these aren't reproduced but does anyone have a good set or is there another steering wheel from another Mopar that will work and look close to stock? Aftermarket wheels would be my last choice as I want to keep the car as original as possible. The wheel looks like this if it's any help. Thanks for any help. s-l1600.jpg

2. barbee6043

barbee6043 Well-Known Member

I just mount a button switch under the dash for the horn. Check and see if it is making good contact, could need cleaning, and if the horns actually got power. He work by the switch making a ground.

3. Trey

Trey Member

Thanks for the reply. The problem is the horn blows all the time because the buttons have what looks like a piece of foam to separate the contacts and it has deteriorated over the years. The previous owner just removed the fuse to kill the horns. I may end up with a button like you suggest until I can repair/replace these. The steering wheel is almost perfect so I'd like to keep it. thanks again.

4. barbee6043

barbee6043 Well-Known Member

Place a wanted ad here or on some of the numerous F body sites in Facebook. Parts are out there!

5. old yellow 78

old yellow 78 Well-Known Member

I had success by using double sided adhesive foam tape insulation to replace the original deteriorated foam. It was a bit more firm than the original, but it worked. It is sold in hardware stores where you get insulation for doors and windows.

6. 89.Fifth

89.Fifth Well-Known Member

So you just need replacement foam? That shouldn't be too tough.

7. Trey

Trey Member

Thanks for the suggestions.Thought I'd post up my fix and maybe it would help someone else.
    Here's what I started with. There's no space between the contacts: horn1.gif

I took it apart to examine. As I thought, the foam was toast: horn2.gif

I removed the backing of the foam from the contacts: horn3.gif
    Cleaned the adhesive from the contacts with lacquer thinner. The clean one is silver: horn4.gif
    I couldn't find foam weatherstrip that was thin enough but I found two sided tape I thought would work. Some folks call it carpet tape. Comparison pic to the thinnest foam insulation (1/8") I could find and the carpet tape: horn5.gif
    Here's how I attached the carpet tape. I couldn't make the little holes like the factory piece but felt I could get close: horn6.gif
    And here it is back together, notice there's clearance between the contacts now. Sorry about the blurry pic. I repaired the other half the same way and put it in the car and it works like a charm. It took less time to do this than what I spent hunting new switches: horn7.gif

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    barbee6043 likes this.
  8. 89.Fifth

89.Fifth Well-Known Member

Well done!

9. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

I have repaired a number of those “foam style” switches before – especially when either parts were not available or at end of day Friday, etc. to get customer back on the road again. The thick double stick tape works best – if thick enough (might have to double up). I have also used felt (doubled up).
    When using felt, I’ve used the thin double-sided tape. The double-sided tape is not great-but does hold things together long enough to get the holes punched and thing but back together with. I then used a leather punch or a paper punch to make the holes with.

Leather Punch a.jpg
    This style with a sharp punch and a piece of wood/sturdy plastic works best (if available).

Hole Punch a.jpg

Leather Punch b.jpg
    These styles also work – but you might have to make multiple holes, per hole.

Note: I’ve even seen new switches that the foam is already deteriorating/falling apart – so even if you can find a NOS switch – means no guarantee that it will not be in same condition as your existing switch.

Just whatever material you use does need to have "give" to it, is not a conductor of electricity and keeps the two electrical contacts close but away from each other. When I mean close, I mean a person must push to make electrical contact. You don’t want to run over a pothole and have your horn go off.

With that, the sky might be your limit as to what materials to use.

The only thing I don't have is pictures of past work.
    BudW