Hot start fix for the Aspen

Aspen500

Reaction score
Been running a basically new stock replacement mini starter on the ol' beast. I assume that's what it was. Got it from 440 Source a couple years ago and it's an exact duplicate of the OEM starter on my Dakota. Cranked it over fine except after coming off the freeway and then a 5-10 minute hot soak. Lately it was getting so even a hot soak after just putting around would give the dreaded rrrrr,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rrrrr,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rrrr,,,,,,,,,vroooom. Then it just went "CLICK". Fortunately it was parked in the garage at the time.

New Powermaster XL Torque (or is it Torque XL?) came after a short back order from Summit. Got it put in tonight and if sound is anything to go by I give it a Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor grunt, grunt, grunt. Sounds like a Pro-Stock car cranking or something. The other one was more like a Honda Civic (whimpy, whimpy, whimpy).

No photo it didn't happen so,,,,,here's the photo and yes I know the header is all scratched to heck but that happens when you have stuff apart 8 million times. When I get around to posting the story of the car and it's transformation over the past 28 years (wow, have I owned it that long already?), you'll understand what I mean by that.

Added bonus. The other starter was "Made in Japan" (Nippendenso I think). The Powermaster is "MADE IN USA"!!!!!

DSCF0001.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Although it's like we're held hostage by the Asian invasion in a lot of cases I always make a VERY large effort to use anything made in the US, Canada or even Mexico over the garbage that they try to pawn off on us from overseas.

Well done.
And yes.....please do post the history of that beast.
I'm sure it's a fascinating read.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Nice. So the magnum starters (3.9, 5.2, 5.9) bolt up to the LA, BB, & RB. Anyone put these on a slant? I would think they bolt up?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yes, Chrysler starters are interchangeable. Will bolt up to S6, small block, big block (except Hemi) from '62 to the end of production of the 3.9/5.2/5.9L, manual or automatic, 4x2 or 4x4 trucks, etc.... Only difference with the old "big" starters is the S6 has a different gear reduction ratio but a V-8 starter works just fine.

One nice thing about Chrysler is they don't change things for no reason. Ford has about 100 different ones over the years. 4x2 truck is different than 4x4 truck, manual trans is different than automatic, 302 is different than 400, 302/auto in a 4x2 truck is not the same as a 302/auto in a car, a '78 car 302/auto is different than a '91 302/auto, etc...............

Only thing is, you need to split the battery and ignition wires apart at the starter. The terminals have different spacing and are on top instead of angled to the front. No big deal though. To do the job right, you should also get the correct dust shield to fill the extra space around the starter opening otherwise there's a big gap.

My bad,,,,,it's Powermaster XS Torque (not Torque XL like I said before).

mancini-racing-starter-shield-for-mini-starter-5.jpg

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'm going to use a 10 dollar 3.9 starter that I got last year in parts for my van in either my Volare or the Lebaron woody. The woody has the slant and currently the stater is flunky. So the most likely home is the woody or "SLOWOOD" as it is called around here

Aspen500

Reaction score
Code:
The OEM Mopar starter is excellent and would be fine even on my 500" BB IF it weren't for the header tubes being 1/4" away from it.

I had fabbed a heat shield that helped some with the old starter but not quite enough. Didn't put it back on though.

shield done2.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Took the car out for about a 16 mile ride to do an acid test on the new starter. Part of it in what passes for country around here without driving 30 miles first, and then back into suburbia where I turned the A/C on to get everything as hot as I could. Back home, let it sit 10 minutes, hit the key and,,,,,,,,,,,,instant start. Granted it's not 95 degrees out (more like 73) but I'm fairly confident the problem is solved.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Yes, Chrysler starters are interchangeable. Will bolt up to S6, small block, big block (except Hemi) from '62 to the end of production of the 3.9/5.2/5.9L, manual or automatic, 4x2 or 4x4 trucks, etc.... Only difference with the old "big" starters is the S6 has a different gear reduction ratio but a V-8 starter works just fine.

One nice thing about Chrysler is they don't change things for no reason. Ford has about 100 different ones over the years. 4x2 truck is different than 4x4 truck, manual trans is different than automatic, 302 is different than 400, 302/auto in a 4x2 truck is not the same as a 302/auto in a car, a '78 car 302/auto is different than a '91 302/auto, etc...............

Only thing is, you need to split the battery and ignition wires apart at the starter. The terminals have different spacing and are on top instead of angled to the front. No big deal though. To do the job right, you should also get the correct dust shield to fill the extra space around the starter opening otherwise there's a big gap.

My bad,,,,,it's Powermaster XS Torque (not Torque XL like I said before).

Just to be clear, you just need that dust shield for the Power master starter on a slant or are you say you need it for the slant regardless of Power master or factory magnum starter?

Aspen500

Reaction score
You need it when using a mini-starter (stock Magnum or aftermarket) to replace the factory shield, on BB anyways. To be honest, I don't know if the S6 (or small block)has one to begin with. It's been awhile! The factory one won't fit the nose of the starter. Probably, you could modify the stock shield but for $18 it isn't worth the time to do it.

Back