I bit the bullet and took everyones advice!

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Here we go again, after talking to AJ Forms I was stuffed, low comp had me screwed which ever way I turned, I found a 360 engine core here in NZ I purchased, I am going to have it machined up, I looked at getting the crank machined, rods sized, new pistons and rings etc and there was not a lot in it so I bought and internally balanced 408 Stroker kit out of the USA, while I was at it I bought 1.5 roller rockers, alloy heads, head studs, push rods, 2.02/1.6 stainless valves, comp cam beehive springs, retainers, 10 degree locks, comp cams XE268 cam, already have the double roller timing chain, lifters, timing chain tensioner, .028 head gasket, airgap and 770 street avenger. Bought a 500hp rebuild kit and shift kit for the 904 trans with all the kevlar bands and facny clutch packs to make it strong, I have the 2200 - 2500 stall converter and will use my headers in the car. The SC will be 10:1 anyway thats where I am heading now, I have sold off my ball sack, one kidney, taking a 2nd mortgage on the house and sold off my grandmas jewels to pay for all of this. AJ Forms I hope its all worth it!

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
By the time you would have had all the original parts redone, you'd still have 40 year old stock parts where a stroker kit is all new parts and WAY better than stock. In the end, the cost is pretty much a wash. Added bonus is 48 more cubes:cool:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
No more family jewels!
Ouch.

What is the ETA of getting it installed and running?
BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I would say we are a good 6 months to a year away, I kinda don't want to have to sell off a kidney! Its going to take a good 3 months before the parts arrive from USA via sea freight.

Last edited:

Master M

Reaction score
Make sure and have both kidneys tested first and sell off the weaker one !

Bruceynz

Reaction score
You guys are so lucky there, you can get your stuff within a few days, you don't have to pay 35% more because of the exchange rate, shipping to NZ and 15% tax on top of everything. The $1300 stroker kit ends up costing me near $3000NZD!!! I might have to sell off my left nut to! Still will have one to spare! The average wage in USA is $50,000 and very similar to here so for the stroker kit I have to work 125 hours and you guys only have to work 54 hours to buy the same thing, god dam it I think I will have to sell a lung too to pay for the alloy heads!

Anyone want a lung going cheap, $3000NZD tax free! We are tough down here so to save cost I will get it out with no pain relief!

What you pay for living in the butt hole of the planet in the middle of no where and like mopars!

Last edited:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I have it pretty good, The Summit Racing headquarters and store is 15 minutes away.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in.
Your car is going to be a beast!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of big block stroker kits a few years ago, from 440 Source.
Then, it cost me $1,399 (US) each (plus freight).
Now their prices are $2,399 (US) each, including freight!

Even still, it took three weeks to get shipped 1,500 miles by land.
BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
what kind of HP do you think I am going to get with 280cfm of flow and XE268, I think I will struggle to get near 400hp??

XE268H-10
Duration @ 0.050":
224° / 230°
Max Lift w/ 1.5RR: .477" / .480"
Lobe Separation: 110°
Lobe ID#'s: 5443 / 5203
Intake Centerline: 106°

Last edited:

MoparKidD-4

Reaction score
I think with a stroker crank you can go to a much bigger cam than the XE268... nevertheless unless you do something seriously wrong I think you will be well over 400 HP

MoparKidD-4

Reaction score
I want it to idle nice and have vac for power brakes

Even so, you could go bigger... that cam will pull good vacuum in a stock-stroke 360 or even a 318 with halfway-decent compression, let alone a full-on stroker engine. I would give a recommendation but me personally, if I was sinking that much money into a build I would just call a cam company and have a custom-grind made specifically for the combo. Not sure if that would cost you anymore, usually it's the same price as buying an off-the-shelf cam. That way you will get the perfect cam that will give you maximum all-around performance without any compromises.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
No no no, don't give him any more options. Lets just get this done! lol!

Bruceynz

Reaction score
This is what I think happens, I go to a bigger cam, I get more HP, I gain a 10th of a second over the 1/4 mile and I am back to an engine that has rough idle and low vac and it just annoys me! 268 will have slight noticeable idle, have nice street manners and car should still have enough power to keep me happy! It will be a fast sleeper Cordoba :)

Back