Ignition Swich Mechanism Failure

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Happy Sunday! I just completed a 600 mile road trip in Darlene the Cordoba. It’s an ’81 for those of you who don’t know. She ran great, but I did run into a problem. I’m looking for some insight into what to tear into to fix the issue.

Before my road trip, I spent an evening detailing it up. I like to listen to tunes, but I was having trouble turning the key backwards to get the electrical system into accessory mode. I had to exert a lot of force. On my road trip, at each stop, I noticed an increasing amount of slop in the ignition key. Mostly in the “run” position, I could rotate the key in either direction about eighty degrees in either direction without encountering any resistance. I began to worry that something was about to break, or I wouldn’t have enough twist to engage the starter circuit.

Sure enough, on my next gas stop, I twisted the key, no starter. The mechanism moved enough to get the car’s ignition system on; so for the next two days, I stated the car by sending voltage from the battery terminal to the starter relay terminal on the relay on the firewall. I’m glad I know enough about these cars (and I had a little piece of wire with me) that it only took me about a minute to get it stated the first time.

I’ve already checked the easy part: The electrical switch located on top of the column down by the floor. It is mounted firmly, and the metal pushrod going into it is tight. When I rotate the key, I can move it back and forth a lot before there is any motion on the pushrod into the switch.

Something has come loose! I’m not familiar with the mechanical connection between the key and the switch.

Any ideas on what is the likely culprit?

Many thanks for any ideas you may have!

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
My guess is the cam in the ignition key cylinder has separated from the cylinder. The rod goes into the cam, the play your describing would have these results of excessive play.... At least you are smart enough to hot wire the car and didn't get stuck. The pin that locks the steering wheel is releasing, enabling you to turn the wheel as that doesn't ride on the cam itself. I can't recall if the cam is riveted, staked, or screwed onto the cylinder. Shop eBay for an ignition cylinder to get an idea of how it's made.....

images (5).jpg

0900c15280251e1b.gif

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Thanks for that exploded view. I agree that it's something like what you describe. I don't know how the collar of the switch locks into the column, but it also feels like that could be loose. Is getting the upper and lower covers off as easy as removing those 4 screws? What heads to they have?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
That's a generic pic..... Ur gonna have to remove the steering wheel, pop off the C Clip that holds the "star wheel" or locking mechanism, exposing the internals of the steering column. I believe there's release pins to remove the key cylinder..

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Turns out it was a cracked cylinder.. And let me tell you, Amazon is awesome. I used Rock Auto to find a couple versions (a couple part number), copied them in to Amazon. Amazon had the part for $12 -- and SAME DAY delivery for $9. Unreal.

Back