Imperial Wiper Question

Duke21

Reaction score
Just purchased a 1981 Imperial a couple weeks ago. When I got the car was told it was missing a wiper linkage, and I thought nothing about it as I really liked everything else on this car. Finally had chance to look into why wipers wouldn't work. The crank link from transmission to the left wiper arm had bushing missing up at transmission. Further investigation found they tried to modify the transmission crank arm( metal banjo shaped piece). Instead of stud to mount into bushing. They half cocked a bolt and washer that wasn't working.
Ordered a used crank arm banjo and new bushing kit from Murray park ( prompt delivery by the way). But I really don't know the order the crank arm goes together. I have a loose arm, e- Clip, a spring, and ball bearing plus the bushing kit. No having seen the assembly before I don't know how this goes together. I bought a factory repair manual, but can't find details on this there either.
Anybody help me with photos to assist me in the assembly of these. Trying to get this together for a drive this weekend. All help is appreciated

Duke21

Justwondering

Reaction score
Look here:
86 Dippy Wiper Linkages

there's a link in that thread to the dippy site. Should give you some guidance.

You can search on 'wiper linkage' in the search box (upper right of the page) and you'll see several folks have had discussed that topic. Some relevant, some not.

Duke21

Reaction score
Yes, I have looked at that posting before. The part I am having issue with is the drive crank and drive link, which appear to be different on these versus the m body cars, as the j bodies park the wipers under the edge of hood. Wish this was as clear cut as the m body, as I would already have her done.
Guess I will keep scratching my head

Justwondering

Reaction score
good luck... hopefully someone will chime in.
I'm working on a 63 willys truck and it isn't as complicated as later cars.
My Fifth Avenue is getting the sun visors finished (tomorrow I hope) and the antenna rehabbed next weekend after I get parts from BudW.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I looked around some and found nothing. My '79 parts book doesn't have Imperial of course but it has Magnum/Cordoba (concealed wipers) but the illustrations don't help one bit.
You're right about the service manual (also '79) and the lack of information on wiper linkage. Zip for concealed wiper cars and even less for F and M body.:(

Duke21

Reaction score
Thanks Aspen500,. Appreciate you and everyone who has tried to help. I have searched online with all different types of keywords and still coming up blank. Frustrating to say the least. I even did as you and looked up the late b body for inspiration. Wierd that this seems to be a someone common problem, but not much documentation on it.

Again, I do thank all of you..

Happy New Year and May God Bless

Duke21 from Hoosier land

Buck Atwater

Reaction score
I think this is the part you need?
1980, 1981, 1982, 1983 Chrysler Cordoba Dodge Mirada windshield wiper repair kit | eBay

I believe it's the same part used on Cordobas and Magnums too. The originals are prone to falling apart when they get old,and these are supposed to be made out of more durable plastic. I've never changed one, but they are supposed to be tricky to put together.

Here's a thread about it on a Magnum, which should be the same setup.

Problems with Windshild Wipers Solved 1978 Dodge Magnum - MoparStyle

Also, pics and a video here. Again this is for a Cordoba/Magnum but the J body setup is very similar.

Late 70s Mopar Wiper Bushing by sv48230

Last edited:

Mr C

Reaction score
Pictures of what you are struggling with will help. Right now, we are all literally blind about what the problems are.

glennb49

Reaction score
I installed the wiper repair kit on my 81 Frank Sinatra about 3 years ago and yes it is tricky what with having to press the assembled ass onto the wiper arm. this is a greatly appreciated remanufactured part that will get your wipers working again! The small push on plastic bushings that tie the arms to the wiper transmissions can be bought at O Rileys parts stores in the self help rack.

Duke21

Reaction score
Hey all, just an quick update. I bought a kit to replace the non -existing original unit. Made myself a promise I wasn't going to start on this until I could take my time and try to document this for others to benefit from. Due to work and family my time has been constrained. I would certainly appreciate any photos of assemblies or anything of reference that would help. I need to get this done soon as lack of wipers has kept me from enjoying this car due to all the wet weather lately. So, in short any additional help is most appreciated.

Duke21

Duke21

Reaction score
Hey 81ImpNC,. By all means I would be interested in any photos or other documents you can provide. I am itching to get this minor project done so I can start on the others

Back