imperials by two

79blueghost

Reaction score
20170614_192849.jpg
20170614_192735.jpg

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Designed with the look of motion, even while rusting.

Looks like one was parts car bound for the nice one.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
They are under-appreciated. And then I sit in my rusty 5th Ave and remember they're all pretty much the same under the skin.

*Except for the '81 Imperials of course, they have extra seat bottom padding (excluding Frank Sinatra edition, those seats started the thin pad seat bottoms that continued thru '83)

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The blue (or dark grey) Imperial has "sunburned paint" (my term). My 1980 Cordoba Crown has the same. I think the UV rays damage the single stage paint when it isn't looked after, and first it oxidizes, then chalks, and then completely goes to powder, which the wind gradually blows away, leaving the primer underneath exposed (the dark red patches). Amount and if it will happen depends on how much sun (i.e. UV) the car is exposed to, and the thickness of the paint (possibly also the mix of the color and hardener).

At least they both have the snowflake wheels instead of wheel covers. I really like the red one.

Mr C

Reaction score
Nightwatch Blue is really bad for fading. But looks amazing when polished...one of the best colours on the J Body Imperial in my books.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I had a nightwatch blue 1982 Mirada, and it hadn't got to the point where the paint had been sunburned off, but the horizontal surfaces were much lighter in color than the vertical surfaces. It is a terrific color, not in your face like some of today's blues on Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes. However, it is not dark enough to make body lines fade.

My 1980 Cordoba Crown is Light Heather Grey Metallic, sort of silver metallic in color (to use the non-marketing colour description_It is as bad as the blue Imperial, if not slightly worse.

I have not come anywhere near the point where I am going to have the Cordoba repainted (original color), but when I do, i will have some serious thinking to do about whether I repaint it using the factory single stage acrylic enamel, or go to two stage base coat/clear coat. The single stage is factory issue, but the two stage has better shine and will probably stand up to the environment better.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Very distinctive and beautiful cars from any angle. I bet that Nightwatch Blue one was gorgeous when it was new on the dealer's lot! How did anyone ever let it get to the shape it's in now?!

Mr C

Reaction score
The red one looks to have been carb-i-fied. Is the blue one too?

Back