Intake and exhaust color

The_Red_Baron

Reaction score
I have a can of corporate blue engine enamel. Would it be save to put on intake and exhaust manifolds? Would it get to hot? Trying to stick with the corporate blue/ cast iron theme going on. Hate to throw a new color in, just for the manifolds. Will post a photo of motor.

The_Red_Baron

Reaction score
Doing a conversion from 1bbl. To 2bbl. The intake has some old blue paint on it, but not much. Will have to sand and repaint. Thought, maybe I could find some cast iron paint foe the exhaust end, because you only see a few parts on it, and it would keep to the pattern. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks

1475332794452632422076.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
The blue will be fine on the intake. It may burn off in the area under the carb where the heat riser is though.
There is a higher heat ceramic engine paint that might not burn off in that area but I've never seen it in Chrysler Corporate Blue.
The exhaust manifold, it'll burn off in short order. You need a specific exhaust paint made for high heat. To be effective and hold up well, the manifold will need to be media blasted to clean cast iron first.

Something like this would work:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sem-16-2668

The_Red_Baron

Reaction score
Thank you Aspen500. This site and it's users are very fast and helpful. Will order tonight, I think.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
On the assembly line, Chrysler painted the exhaust manifold(s), the coolant bypass hose (which I don’t see installed yet) and even the battery ground cable all at one time. The paint on exhaust will not stay on – unless you use a high temp paint.

I do like your paint scheme – it looks impressive.

When painting an engine, I do like to get an extra heavy bead of paint at the (already assembled) gasket surfaces – just to help those gaskets seal better – but that is a personal thing (no need for anyone to start doing it). I have no proof it works better – but I see no reason why it wouldn’t.

That process would be hard to do in your case.

I also prefer to paint the engine without the exhaust manifold(s) in place – but that is a bit harder to do on a /6.

BudW

Back