Intake/Water Pump swap.... what a dirty pig!

83Imp

Reaction score
Hello all,

I worked a little more on the Imperial today in my quest to swap out the non-functional EFi to a 4 bbl/Elec Ignition. I pulled this and that and found a bunch of crystalized anti-freeze in the pump, so out came the radiator and I bought a new pump.

The PO never washed the engine. Never did anything to it. The belts and hoses are original Mopar (and need to be replaced). I have a lot of cleaning to do before I feel comfortable pulling the intake.

WP 1.jpg

Eng assess 1.jpg

Rad out 1.jpg

Eng assess off 1.jpg

Parts 1.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
That it is or was....take you time. Try to lose as much of the polution crap you can. Wait until you pull the intake and valve covers, it may be real nasty in there to.

83Imp

Reaction score
Well... that's it. I'm not spending another dime on cleaning the 318. The heads are full of baked on, burned on crust..... :puke:

I doubt the PO changed the oil in the whole time he owned it. :BangHead:

RB swap here I come... It will be much more cost effective... AND FUN.

Valve covers 1.jpg

Valve covers 2.jpg

Valve covers 3.jpg

83Imp

Reaction score
Yea, I'd be $1500 into rebuilding this thing - There are a couple running 440/727s on Craigslist near here for around $500.

Get a load of how dry those rocker arms are... sheesh...

I just might throw a bottle or two of Seafoam and filters at it as you suggest and see if it gernades itself or not. LOL.... One dollar at a time...

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
if it was mine id pb blast the springs and arms and evreything just to break it up a lil and the engine foam if ur gonna change the oil then do this an change it again try using mobil 1 super not synthetic its a detergent oil works great with the seafoam that stuff works u could even use a whole bottle in the oil and half in the vacume and half in the fuel u get it from all directions .

and make sure to deeply clean the covers lol

Last edited:

klb6469

Reaction score
Go ahead and pull the intake, see how bad the sludge is in the lifter valley. If its not bad, just remove the heads and give them a good cleaning.
If you start to put cleaning additives in the oil to help remove the sludge build-up, you know were it going. The end results will be a plugged oil pick-up and burned-up lower end.
If I were you ( but im not), take the heads to a local engine builder and have them hot tanked, to clean them up. Install new rocker shafts and arms. Put her back together and run her.
My 318 in my roadrunner had some sludge build-up in the heads. So cleaned it up and started using Brad Penn Racing Oil 10W40. Its a high zinc formula oil, synthetic/ petrolium blend. Very high detergent, to keep thinks clean.

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
Me and a couple buddies have thrown ATF and Seafoam in motors before to clean them out. Let the engine get up to temp, then Seafoam it- if it chunks the motor (from blocking the pick up w/debris or something), oh well, they were "Yard Removals," but we haven't yet...definitely turns the ATF nasty, but the gunk starts flying out of it.

PS-that looks like every motor I've ever seen that ran Pennzoil. Chunky , smelly and crappy

joemac1j

Reaction score
If you can get a 440 and 727 transmission for $500, why are you wasting time messing with the small block?
Go for it!!!

Back