Introducing New Member: charlesvolare

charlesvolare

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I've been meaning to post a little bit about my car and background and everything and just haven't gotten around to it till now.

My car is a '80 Volare sedan, my great grandparents bought the car used and for the most part kept it in Florida. When they got too old to drive, the car was brought back to Tennessee where it sat in a field for 8 years until I got my grandpa to help me drag it out of the weeds and get it going for my first car. Fixed and replaced everything on the slant imaginable without pulling the motor, even rebuilt the transmission myself (my parents didn't now what I was doing until they walked into the garage and saw the transmission in 8 million pieces across the floor). Got tired of being slow and bought a used 5.9 (360) magnum off craigslist and dumped all the money I was making delivering pizza into an engine swap. built another 904 I got from my grandparents farm and converted the magnum over to carb. took a few months to work out all the kinks between school and work, but I got it going good. That motor was pretty worn out and the bearings were trashed so when I found a freshly machined 360 block (.060 over w/ a cast crank turned .010 under) for only $200 on craigslist I jumped on it and used my scholarship refund to buy the internals. Eagle rods, KB flat top pistons, mopar cam, everything to make the magnum heads work on the la block. Got about 800 miles on that build before a cam lobe went out. Pulled the motor apart and cleaned it, all new bearings again. Put in a comp cam. Motor's been in it a year this month and almost 5,000 miles (gearing is off with the speedometer). Third gear just went on the trans, so I'm currently figuring that out. But I'm a mechanical engineering student and currently intern at comp cams here in Memphis, in the R&D department, so my knowledge and help has been exponentially growing the past few months.

360 motor (bored 0.060 over)
904 trans
8.25 rear end w/ 3.55 gears, open diff. (rear end and leaf springs were swapped from a wagon after the 7.25 grenaded, 3.55 gears came from a guy who had them in a jeep. Rebuild the rear end with new bearings and everything)

Been to test and tune twice, fastest so far is 14.026 @ 97.25, and that's with a badly tuned carb and a bad 2-3 shift so I know I can get it into the 13s.

Here's a video of it I made and finally posted it on youtube:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Hotroding grandpa's more door is so cool, have fun and be safe .

Back