iso-clamp

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to remove my iso clamp rubbers, I had plans of making parts to do it but would rather a bolt in part. I see solid bushings has disappeared but I found on eBay energy suspensions leaf spring isolators, part # 5.6106g and 5.6106r
- Does anyone know what the difference is between r and g?

- Are they quite hard compared to rubber?

They also talk about ribbed bushes, I have a 1983 j body Cordoba with a 7.25" rear end and I am changing it to and 8.25" out of a F body so want to remove the sloppy rubber iso clamp.

- Do I need standard or ribbed?

5.6106 | eBay

Thanks
Bruce

jasperjacko

Reaction score
You're joking right? First you want to remove your rubbers, now you think you need ribbed ones? Really? lol

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Jasper,

I am currently out of NZ, I want to order them so when I return I can install. I have found in the past some of this polyurethane/urethane can be soft like rubber and hard like steel. I take it from your response the j body uses the standard spring pad?

Thanks
Bruce

jasperjacko

Reaction score
My response was meant to be humor in poor taste. Sorry for the confusion. I'm sure the urethane wood be stiffer than the stock rubber ones.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I knew what you were up to ;)
No pun intended, right?
Why not eliminate the pads and use a 60's style shock mount? Mount the axle directly on top of the spring and shock plate directly below the spring.....This way, it's really stiff!

Aspen500

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I kept the iso-clamp and replaced the rubber pads with urethane ones. Haven't noticed any ill effects such as wheel hop or other bad things. Do have the round front spring bushing instead of the sloppy oval one though.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Would love to but I don't live in USA and to ship heavy steel with USPS cost big $$$ I might just get some plate drill some holes in it and copy what is there in steel, back to plan A. I already have some plate kicking around that will do it. I have a big welder, if I get annoyed enough I will weld the spring to the hanger lol lol how often do you ever want to take them off!!! Hahaha
--- Post updated ---
Thinking about this I could lower the car the thickness of the rubber and then adjust the front down slightly and the car would sit maybe 1/4" or slightly more lower. This is all guess work as I have not pulled the iso clamp out yet to see if I can do it yet. Car is sitting on 17" wheels at the moment and still have addco sway bars to fit. Have rebuild kit for torsion bars too so will do them at some point.

Back