K I am wanting to buy a newer used vehicle for a more modern engine/trans swap into my 79 volare' duster/roadrunner.

armataz

Reaction score
like an early 2000's or late 90's durango/ dakoda/ charger/ magnum and I am looking for advice what years/engines to look for, I'm wanting fuel injected/ automatic but not the headaches of fly by wire computer systems. I wont be doing the work my self. so I need to pick my best/easiest option to take to the shop doing the work. my current engine is a stock 1 bbl 225.
and I'm also looking at small block the conversion mounts, to keep the stock 6 K frame.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Are you using the transmission from the donar vehicle? Your /6 transmission won't work behind anything as the bell is unique. Anything 96 and newer is completely computer controlled and all 4 speed automatics will require modifications to fit.

I would use something from the early to mid 90's. Something where the trans is still hydraulicly controlled and the gauge cluster is analog. Engine harness will also be self contained. It's the easiest swap, will be the cheapest and uses all factory parts. Might as well go for a 5.9l Magnum motor.

Talk to the mechanic. 4 speed automatic swaps while requiring modifications to fit are pretty common. More than a few people here have done it including myself.

armataz

Reaction score
yes I would be, wanting to keep it to a 3 speed auto, but want to up grade with an auto over as well, so I dont have to swap the column,
thanks for the info , so I looking for mid 80;s to 95, possibly a 360 magnum as best option??

Last edited:

Duke5A

Reaction score
If you're not looking to use the 4 speed automatic trans you can go later. I think Magnum motors went through to 2003 or so. Find a late 90s to early 2000s Dodge for your motor. Personally I would go 5.9.

Since you can't reuse your transmission and want to stay three speed you've got some options. 904 or 727. I'll post more in a little bit.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The Magnum 3.9 and 5.2 came out in 1992, 5.9 in 1993. Anything '91 and older is an LA engine. There was EFI on non-Magnum's but it was 2 bbl TBI, not multi-port.

One thing that may be a problem is the height of the truck Magnum intake and throttle body, not to mention an air filter. My '96 Dakota (3.9 Magnum) is 10 1/2" from head mating surface to top of air cleaner. Something to keep in mind anyway.

20221113_065953.jpg

armataz

Reaction score
thanks guy's for the help,.. kinda a favor to ask.
while I can do some repairs, I'm not really a mechani ,whats an IA engine(iowa?) also prefer CI to metric,
think of me like your trying to explain this to your grand dad, LOL thnks,

armataz

Reaction score
The Magnum 3.9 and 5.2 came out in 1992, 5.9 in 1993. Anything '91 and older is an LA engine. There was EFI on non-Magnum's but it was 2 bbl TBI, not multi-port.

One thing that may be a problem is the height of the truck Magnum intake and throttle body, not to mention an air filter. My '96 Dakota (3.9 Magnum) is 10 1/2" from head mating surface to top of air cleaner. Something to keep in mind anyway.

View attachment 48815
there seams to be plenty of room under the dusters hood,I understand the mounts might change the hight, so maybestay with something like the charger??
not sure what other vehicle options ,, there were that was rear wheel drive w/a v-8 option.

Camtron

Reaction score
‘90s and early 2000s Rams, Dakotas, Durangos and Jeep Cherokees all had a 5.9magnum option available.
‘91 - ‘96 also had non computer controlled transmissions making them a nice/relatively easy swap to get a 5speed with O/D and the ‘98 - 2000s 5.9magnums have a slight HP increase over the earlier blocks; not that you’d really notice in a daily driver.
Hight should be fine, one of the guys on here swapped a v6Magnum into his sons Mirada no issue.
You can order engine swap mounts from, Schumacher to drop the v8 into your slant6 K-frame easily.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
When you're not doing the work yourself I'd be considering a 90s 5.9 and put aftermarket fuel injection on it to make it easier for someone to tune. Stick a 727 behind it for longivity and you probably need to change the rear axle too because more then likely ita a 7 1/4 now that won't hold up.

You're not going to find all the parts you need out of one vehicle.

Last edited:

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
thanks guy's for the help,.. kinda a favor to ask.
while I can do some repairs, I'm not really a mechani ,whats an IA engine(iowa?) also prefer CI to metric,
think of me like your trying to explain this to your grand dad, LOL thnks,

LA is pre magnum engines.
5.2 318
5.9 360

You need to get used to not using cid because they don't classify the engines you're looking at that way anymore.

armataz

Reaction score
how reliable is the magnum from the 90's-2000, is there any years to avoid??
I;ve only owned cars with the 318 and 225. and the 79 is the newest car. ( if dont count the g,voyager as a car;

Camtron

Reaction score
Not so much a year to be avoided but the flaw with Magnum engines are little cracks on the heads by water jacket bolts and between valve seats. Taking the time to find a good set of heads, forking over the cash for aluminum heads or a shop that can/will weld the cracks and machine the surfaces back down. Pretty stout engines otherwise…most running Magnums have these cracks and you’d never know till you pulled them apart. These were on a set of heads I pulled at a junk yard.

5D3511AA-E6D3-4BD1-AAAD-B97AFE997377.jpeg

937F5DFC-70A9-414F-8F73-732F80450528.jpeg

Last edited:

armataz

Reaction score
thanks, so I should expect to have to replace the heads, if I go with the magnum 360.
what about the 318?
was there a shelby on either?

Duke5A

Reaction score
I guess we need some more information. What are your ultimate goals for this car? Just a newer style fuel injected V8 or are there performance mods in the mix? And most import: what is the budget?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The cracks arise from the head's deck height/thickness. The deck height for the cylinder head is the metal thickness of the cylinder head mating surface where it would meet the top of the block(more accurately, head gasket) in the watehr jacket area. Seems like Chrysler was looking to minimize weight, and took off a little bit too much metal.

I don't know if they are still around, but there were third party heads labelled Engine Quest, which were based on the Magnum heads, but had a thicker deck height, and no cracks developed on those. In addition to the thicker deck height, they also flowed, out of the box, about 10% better than the Magnum heads.

Almost all factory LA, Magnum, and Engine Quest heads are cast iron. I think there are aluminum heads for the LA and Magnum, but they would be third party. The Engine Quest heads originally came from either Australia or New Zealand, but I think were also later produced in the US. They were also re-sold by some well known Mopar high performance suppliers. I don't know what the current situation is.

armataz

Reaction score
I guess we need some more information. What are your ultimate goals for this car? Just a newer style fuel injected V8 or are there performance mods in the mix? And most import: what is the budget?
basically looking for a more modern engine and trans not looking to hot rod it, something to give it more base power. the whole car needs work,
so the less extras, on the power train/. the more I have to fix the other issues,
like a full break system replacement because even the break pedal is seized at the floor, it was stored out side for years.
and I have not had time to do a full inventory of the mechanical repairs it needs yet. so Im looking for just a good reliable v 8 upgrade
with injection to better handle todays fuels , maybe later, down the road I can build on

Back