Laptop rehab

Justwondering

Reaction score
Its been two weeks and I finally have a working laptop again.

Hubby managed to drop his laptop not once, but three times in the course of a week.
Cracked the screen the first time.
Broke the right hinge the second time.
Killed the power button the last time.

Took my laptop apart. Took the drive out. Put his drive in it. Gave him my laptop.

Been restricted to a phone and a tablet with a cracked screen for two weeks.

Got the replacement laptop of same type but just a bit slower cpu from ebay on a great deal.
Just finished swapping all the hard drives around again.

So I should be posting better questions and pictures soon. Yee haw!

slant6billy

Reaction score
Got to do what ya got to do. I've gotten electronics from Craigslist and pawnshops. My Phone is an I phone 3GS that was free. It was locked and had to be hacked open. My laptop got beat up by my kids so bad it did not work for months. I found two of the same in the trash and trash picked (Sanford n son) style. FIXED! Can't just keep buying new. Buying new is wasteful. Whether you rebuild a carb, a starter, or laptop, it is definitely a big / little thing in keep waste down and cost down. Plus keeping one's mind sharp, by trying to figure things out. It takes patience..... skill comes next. I don't like to throw anything away. Don't like throwaway cars at all. Not many if any 1988 Hyundia cars rolling around. 1978 mopars, now that is something worth keeping.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I agree completely.
That is one downside about living rural. Dumpster diving is non existent
But the upside is I can keep whatever I score or build whatever I want and no neighbor to irritate me about it.
Kinda forces me to be much more creative in problem solving.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten a lot of experience rebuilding laptops in last few years, especially Dell’s

I have a source of inoperative Dell laptops, so been working on them in my spare time, and my 9 year old twins find new ways of breaking them.

Two years ago, one kid poured his cup of water down his sister’s computer to see what happened - she was not happy (nor was I), for example.

My father in law is a professional dumpster diver. He doesn’t need the money – he just likes doing it.
He said when college year comes to a close it really likes it (He lives in Norman, OK – not far from OU campus).

slant6billy

Reaction score
My wife called me at work today with the bad news that her laptop started beeping and no screen yada yada yada. So I swung by the pawn shop to price a second hander HP. Sucks coming into the Christmas months with buying stuff that I didn't plan for. Of course my wife has the assumption I gots car parts money to spare. So I could spare some parts bin cash, but I'm hardheaded. I'll fix this pos Dell Inspiron and get her back surf'n the web. I still might buy another laptop, but that means an early b day present for me in terms of a set of Hooker headers. That wife of mine has to understand, PC repair is something I can do, but I hate it. I must be paid back with car parts or I will make the world very miserable. OK, maybe not, but I just need my fix for carparts to ease my stress.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Have had a brutal 2 days... husband has dry heaves, can't breath even with the air concentrator running, running a fever, coughing... we were up for the past 32 hours again trying to avoid ER ... which we successfully did.
He's finally feeling better and sitting at the table playing solitaire on his computer.
Mine has been ignored for hours, is sitting in sleep mode.
Identical machines.
Power outage.
His is fine.
Mine is hosed. Cry-ma-knee..
I spent 20 minutes taking screws out and panels off and battery out. cleaning everything, being patient, and put it all back together .. it works (thank goodness).
All the time I'm thinking and quietly chanting to myself (please work, please work ... I don't want to raid my car budget again).
I agree completely with you... I can repair laptops and pc's but its just something to avoid another cash layout... not an activity I enjoy either.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your man is fighting the battle again. I'm just finishing the laptop and I hear water flowing over me. My kid goes to check and the toilet is a runaway. So 4 inches of water in the hallway. So laptop was self inflicted, toilet was self inflicted. What else can get broken around here? I just went to the corner store to get a turkey Ruben and it sucked really bad. I cannot win for trying.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Your story is worse than mine. We are coasting tonight a little coughing and just being mellow.

If you were closer I'd bring my tools and come over and help. I'm with you in spirit.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Hey Billy,Quit your crying,get your plumbers crack out and fix the dam toilet.Where the hell is my Ice Cream!

slant6billy

Reaction score
Hey Billy,Quit your crying,get your plumbers crack out and fix the dam toilet.Where the hell is my Ice Cream!
Got plenty of plumbers crack..... Speaking of crack" Who makes more money- the crack dealer or the crack whore? Guess right and I get you 2 icecreams.

Back