LAST YEAR FOR LOUVERS

CM360

Reaction score
Came across an old car ad with 1980 Aspen with louvers. I thought that was over in '78. Any help?

DCAspen

Reaction score
79 was the last year for side window louvers

Aspen500

Reaction score
I wonder why the louvers were dropped for 1980? A lot of times those ads came out before the cars did and changes were made after the fact.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
79 was the last year for side window louvers
I didn't know that. Huh. Mopar was surely in trouble by '80, but is seems weird that they would mess with minor things like dropping the louvers and Super Six, and yet make a restyled front clip. Although I think the fenders are actually Diplomat fenders, still, a new grille, hood... why? Particularly if they knew the F's were going away.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I don't think they knew the f's were going away until after the redesign was already done. That's the rumor I heard anyway.

GregG48213

Reaction score
the F's were going away
The F-body was effectively superseded by the K-car in 1981. Indeed, the M-body was also supposed to go away sooner than it did; which explains why Chrysler didn't invest more money into its development.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Once Chrysler accepted money from US government, the government more or less told them what to drop. The first thing they were told to drop was the big truck division (not a car line but the entire division).

The ’80 F-Body design was planned to stick around for at least a couple of years. Government told Chrysler like in April/May of 1980 (or so) to pull the plug. Production of them stopped almost immediately (didn’t even get to end of model year production). I remember the dealership I worked for saying they had a bunch of special order cars (Tulsa police department) that didn’t get built.
BudW

Back