Latest news on my 76 Volare

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
So, it's been a while, and not much has happened. A lot of this will be rehashing what I've said before. The Volare has been sitting, in theory it still runs but it desperately needs an oil change before I put any miles on it. Right now what it NEEDS to pass inspection is the wiper linkage and the horn. Horn relay clicks repeatedly when you turn the wheel, so there's definitely a short somewhere, and the linkage is the usual problem that requires half of the dashboard to come out just to replace those little bushings. There's also a parasitic draw somewhere, that may be related to the horn, but the battery has to be D/Ced if it's going to sit for any length of time.

Now, what I WANT for it: The trim around the vinyl top is loose, and I absolutely can not find the clips for it. A while back someone mentioned somebody who might have some, but I can't remember who or where. I'm thinking of bodging something together just to get it to stay put. Also, the grille is cracked, thanks to a friend leaning against it while trying to remove the A/C system. Beyond that, I want fresh paint, and the little bit of rust repair it needs.

As for my DREAMS for it, a new 4 barrel carb, new intake manifold, and maybe some exhaust headers would be nice just to get it breathing a little easier. While I'm dreaming, might as well replace the whole top end with performance parts, and refurbish the bottom. Nothing too fancy, I'm not going to race it, I just want it able to get out of its own way.

Last edited:

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
Holy crap, I may have actually found the clips. I won't know until tomorrow, but from the picture they look about right, part #6003219 if I'm not mistaken. I hope it's the right one!

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'm still working on power antennas.
One goes up and down but won't stop when it gets down.
One makes noise but neither goes up nor down.
One is silent and neither goes up nor down.

lol ... good luck.

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
I'm still working on power antennas.
One goes up and down but won't stop when it gets down.
One makes noise but neither goes up nor down.
One is silent and neither goes up nor down.

lol ... good luck.

Oof, none of those sound fun to fix. I hope you can figure it out!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
have found it to be easier to remove the parts (5 items: both arms, both pivots and crank arm), assemble on the bench using channel-lock plyers, and reinstall the assembly back into the car.

To me, this is way easier to do than trying to install new bushings back on the pivots, in car. Some friends of mine (with smaller arms) have told me it is easier for them to it with pivots left in car (to each, their own, I guess).

This is not a pleasant job – so at least one only has to do it every 20-30 years (more or less).

Side note: I’d replace the wiper bushings any day, than to do most things on today’s cars.
Note: this is from under the hood under the black plastic cowl screen.
BudW

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
Note: this is from under the hood under the black plastic cowl screen.
BudW

Oh, that's good to know! I was going to do it the hard way, which because I have (or, had) A/C in the car is so much harder than it has to be. But if I can just pop off a few bolts, take the whole thing out, and do it on the bench, that sounds much better!

Edit: And dang it, I forgot to check the clips! Oh well, I'm going back there tonight, I can check them then. And maybe over the holidays I can take out the assembly and see about replacing the bushings.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You might need (or want) to take a Shop Vac with you and suck out as much leaves and dirt out of the cowl while there and while the linkage is out.

Almost every car I’ve worked on has had its share of “stuff” in there (or in my case enough compost to make great potting soil for a few plants).

The nut(s) that hold the wiper pivots in place – you can use a large end wrench or a 12 point socket, to loosen. It is a common size – but can’t remember the size right off.

There should be a ½” nut that holds the wiper motor link to motor. Just remove all 3 nuts (and wiper blades/arms) and it’s ready to come out.
If bushings are already broken, then it might be easier to remove (but, in more parts).
BudW

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
You might need (or want) to take a Shop Vac with you and suck out as much leaves and dirt out of the cowl while there and while the linkage is out.

Almost every car I’ve worked on has had its share of “stuff” in there (or in my case enough compost to make great potting soil for a few plants).

The nut(s) that hold the wiper pivots in place – you can use a large end wrench or a 12 point socket, to loosen. It is a common size – but can’t remember the size right off.

There should be a ½” nut that holds the wiper motor link to motor. Just remove all 3 nuts (and wiper blades/arms) and it’s ready to come out.
If bushings are already broken, then it might be easier to remove (but, in more parts).
BudW
Ok, it's raining so I couldn't do much, but I looked under the plastic cowl and sure enough, the linkage is in pieces. I guess the next nice day I'll be taking the whole thing out.

Also! I checked the clips and they're a perfect match! that's two out of three things that I have a clear plan for, now I just have to track down the short in the steering column for the horn and I should be good to have it inspected!

Idle Ender

Reaction score
Good luck putting the linkage together. The hole under the plastic shroud/grill is too small so the bushings themselves are far off to either side of the hole. A pair of Channel Locks and some little hands and you can get it done. Have fun!

Back