Le Marginal car chase from 1983

Greg55_99

Reaction score
If you look at this slowly, you'll see the Mopar starts the chase with a 77 Volare grill (with a hole in it), switches to a 78 grill in the middle then back to a 77 grill for the finale. :)

Aspen500

Reaction score
Kind of like when The Bandit is chased into the woods by a Dodge, but somehow it turned into a Pontiac that goes in the water. Shape shifting cars, lol.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
From the title, it seems to be a French movie. I wonder why the producers/directors chose to use 2 American cars for the chase scene? It was obviously shot at someplace in France, looking at the cars that are parked as they fly by.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
From what I found out, it was a French cop movie.

Le Marginal - Wikipedia

Another site said the car chase sequence was planned as a hat tip to Steve McQueen's "Bullitt". I think it comes off pretty well.

Greg

slant six

Reaction score
The dis junction / lack of continuity in the shots for the grilles was distracting to me.
The wife sez I notice all kinds of dumb stuff like that in movies rather than paying attention to the story or characters or what the actors are saying etc.. Okay back to the garage now.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
LOL! If you want to play the game, try to count how many times you "Spot the red and grey Fiat". If you say twice, you haven't looked carefully enough! :)

Aspen500

Reaction score
The dis junction / lack of continuity in the shots for the grilles was distracting to me.
The wife sez I notice all kinds of dumb stuff like that in movies rather than paying attention to the story or characters or what the actors are saying etc.. Okay back to the garage now.
I'm one those also that notices lack of continuity in movies. Guess it's just the way my mind works. Cars that change year, make, model or body style from one scene to the next, wardrobe difference between scenes, hair wet, then dry, wet, dry from one camera angle to the next. Pouring rain as they enter a tunnel, sunny and bone dry when they come out 3 seconds later........Sigh.
In the greatest car chase of all time in Bullitt, they pass the same green Beetle half a dozen times, among other cars and buildings.

Last edited:

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I find it even worse then seeing the same background cars in car chases is when they use different angles of the same scene further along in the chase.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
.....In the greatest car chase of all time in Bullitt, they pass the same green Beetle half a dozen times, among other cars and buildings....

That is an excellent candidate for "greatest car chase". I vote Blues Brothers. There's the epic car chase across lots of Norther Illinois including Lower Wacker Drive --- but including a chase inside the old Ford City Mall is the icing on the cake. No CG here! Icing on the cake: Lots of 440 powered Mopars. "It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?"

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Aw come on you know the best car chase is Short Time. And it's got the repeat cars too lol

slant six

Reaction score
I have never seen that one. Thanks for sharing
This seems like a total AHB Avert.
Watching these now makes me bothered by all of the Good Taillight lenses and Grilles for F bodies that were lost for Hollywood film makers and car chases.. like in this one where the Cars come around the corner and clip the white aspen coupe with the landau top and opera windows as well as the white 4 door volare that has '78 Taillights, but when the camera changes to the front it has a '76 grille.

Also bothered by the Blue underhood paint and blue interior inside the maroon detective's / hero car.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Like Aspen 500, I've never seen or heard of the movie. I must say, there is no shortage of F/Ms in that movie, not just the car that Dabney Coleman was driving, but all sorts of others are in many of the scenes.

slant six

Reaction score
Product placement.. F/M's Were prolly ubiquitous, cheap, and durable to those Film Crews.. There were a bunch of them in the old A team shows too.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It's a pretty good movie to watch. Long story short on the plot, he's an overly safe guy but because of a lab mix up gets told he only has a couple weeks to live but is about to retire and his life insurance only pays out if he dies on the job so does everything he can to try to make that happen.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I hate seeing all the F/M's wrecked also of course but, when the movie was made in the late '80's they were "just used cars". That's what my Aspen was when I bought it 1987, just a used car traded in on a new one (an '87 Taurus of all things, ugh).

Back