Lean-Burn Conversion

redhorse819

Reaction score
I own a 1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. Tired of the lean-burn system, want go to conversion. I am a disabled Viet_Nam Vet looking for a mechanic in my area to do the work. I live in Western Ma. It seems the mechanics here either don't know how or don't want to. Just want that old school get in your car it fires up. I have been a Mopar lover for years. The first was a 1967 Dodge Coronet 440 Convertible. The second was a 1968 Dodge Charger 440 Magnum. Anyway any help or suggestions of a mechanic in my area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Kevin.

dm330

Reaction score
I see this was posted yesterday with no replies yet. I'd say if there's nobody on this site close by or who knows anyone in your area who can do it, try posting on Allpar and/or Facebook pages related to these cars. Someone will have a solution for you. Best of luck!

Camtron

Reaction score
Wish I were closer, I’d happily take care of it for you. What I can at do is post links to what you’ll need to buy to get it done.

Mopar ignition kit: Proform 66991: Electronic Distributor Conversion Kit for Chrysler/Mopar Small Blocks 273-360ci - JEGS

BBD 2barrel carb: Carburetor BBD 2 BARREL Carter Type Lowtop For DODGE CHRYSLER 318 Cu V8 5.2L 756250857184 | eBay

The ignition kit has all the wiring and electrical components for the Lean Burn delete and the Carb will give you the regular old fashion mechanical operations.

Happy hunting and best of luck.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Those are the parts I'd get. There's a wiring diagram for it that's pretty straight forward to follow as well as multiple forum posts here and at other mopar forums with all the information you need.

MARCH374

Reaction score
I had a MSD ready to run distributor installed in place of my LB. Huge difference.

redhorse819

Reaction score
Thank you all for the reply. Unfortunately I have essential tremors. Anyone ever drop a condenser screw or point screw down the distributor only have to remove it to get the screw out. I am worse than that. I can get all the parts for conversion, just need that mechanic with a steady hand.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I poked around to see what's out your way and there's a couple places worth calling
Hartmans Wheel Alignment, 348 North St, Williamstown (413) 458-4200

STAGECOACH AUTO REPAIR - 180 Route 8A N, Charlemont, Massachusetts (413) 339-8515

Chic's Auto & Repair, 6 Railroad St, Cheshire, MA (413) 743-4295

Green Garage 146 Main St, Charlemont, MA 01339 (413) 339-5593

These are places in western MA that don't have websites and only take cash/debit. To me, those are the best places because they don't need to advertise to stay in business.

Last edited:

Cordoba1

Reaction score
I'm a fan and defender of Chrysler's oft aligned Lean Burn system, I'm just curious: What's going on with your Lean Burn that makes you want to convert?

Hayzoos

Reaction score
Good point Cordoba1. Gotta solve the root cause of the problem.

redhorse819: Are you running modern street gas AKA E10 "may contain up to 10% Ethanol."? If yes, solution may be find ethanol-free, E0, "recreeation" gas in your area. Also if the gas is the problem, then any carb lean-burn or not would have the same issues. Another solution to E10 gas is fuel-injection conversion, but that is even more involved.

LSM360

Reaction score
I'm a fan and defender of Chrysler's oft aligned Lean Burn system, I'm just curious: What's going on with your Lean Burn that makes you want to convert?
I'm not a hater like so many. When they are operating properly they do a good job IMO. I wouldn't immediately assume it's the problem or do it out of prevention.

Also, if you do you MAY want to avoid Mopar Orange Box. I had one fail and many state they had a bad run.

LSM360

Reaction score
Those are the parts I'd get. There's a wiring diagram for it that's pretty straight forward to follow as well as multiple forum posts here and at other mopar forums with all the information you need.
I agree any decent mechanic should be able to perform this for you without a problem.

jd340

Reaction score
Wish I were closer, I’d happily take care of it for you. What I can at do is post links to what you’ll need to buy to get it done.

Mopar ignition kit: Proform 66991: Electronic Distributor Conversion Kit for Chrysler/Mopar Small Blocks 273-360ci - JEGS

BBD 2barrel carb: Carburetor BBD 2 BARREL Carter Type Lowtop For DODGE CHRYSLER 318 Cu V8 5.2L 756250857184 | eBay

The ignition kit has all the wiring and electrical components for the Lean Burn delete and the Carb will give you the regular old fashion mechanical operations.

Happy hunting and best of luck.
Hi, would you have a link for a 2 barrel carb for a 360 in my 79 Diplomat? Thanks

Camtron

Reaction score
Hi, would you have a link for a 2 barrel carb for a 360 in my 79 Diplomat? Thanks
For a factory style carb, you’d want to grab a, 2 barrel BBD carb. You’ll typically just find Chinese repops like this one:

Amazon product ASIN B08DDCM84B
You can find them on EBay as well for like, $100.
Carburetor Carter Type BBD 2 BARREL For Dodge Plymouth 273-318 Engines 1966-1973 | eBay

Most guys seem to have good luck with them but, always a chance it doesn’t work right out of the box and needs to be cleaned or exchanged.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
For a factory style carb, you’d want to grab a, 2 barrel BBD carb. You’ll typically just find Chinese repops like this one:

Amazon product ASIN B08DDCM84B
You can find them on EBay as well for like, $100.
Carburetor Carter Type BBD 2 BARREL For Dodge Plymouth 273-318 Engines 1966-1973 | eBay

Most guys seem to have good luck with them but, always a chance it doesn’t work right out of the box and needs to be cleaned or exchanged.

360 uses a bigger 2bbl with different bolt pattern then 318.

If your current carb already has a port at the base for vacuum advance you might not need to replace it. Either way it's a Holley 2245. It was used on everything from trucks to bigger cars with the 400 so you need to watch what application it's for.

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score

If your current carb already has a port at the base for vacuum advance you might not need to replace it. Either way it's a Holley 2245. It was used on everything from trucks to bigger cars with the 400 so you need to watch what application it's for.
I thought so but couldn’t find anything specific while searching on my break.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I thought so but couldn’t find anything specific while searching on my break.

I only know cause I've had to deal with it before.

I've never had one of those bigger 2bbls that didn't cause problems. The best thing I ever did was to ditch it for a 4 barrel.

Camtron

Reaction score
I only know cause I've had to deal with it before.

I've never had one of those bigger 2bbls that didn't cause problems. The best thing I ever did was to ditch it for a 4 barrel.
That’s also what I’m familiar with. I’ve seen factory 4 barrel 360s, never seen a 2v intake/carb factory set up on one. That’s likely from spending a couple decades in, California and only being around so many, Mopars though.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Probably easier to just source a used Edelbrock Performer intake and use a 1406 Edelbrock carb.

jd340

Reaction score

Thank you

Back