LED shop lights

Aspen500

Reaction score
Finally did something I've been putting off for far too long. was out in the garage earlier, frustrated because I couldn't see anything. OK, that's it! Before I changed my mind again, came in and ordered six (for now) 4-foot LED shop lights. There, done:cool:

Once I see what it's like with those six up, I'll decided on how many more to order up. Right now I have 15 fluorescent's and they're almost all not as bright as they used to be and a couple just don't work period. New bulbs would help but LED is the way to go.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Vary the color with LED lights. In the early 2000s I was testing the LED replacements for ships and were surprised. The single color were ok at first, but had a limited spectrum. A few mix and match (blue, yellow, red) gave a more natural light effect. Power draw was down. We ran the voltage down to 68 Vac to see when the LEDs would crap out. We raised the voltage to 137 Volts and watch some type of flicker saturation, but not failure. Try the color variation if possible

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm not sure what "K" they are but they're 4,500 lumens for each fixture. The bulb color was listed as "clear". I'll install these 6 fixtures and plan from there. I'd have ordered more of them right away but really hate to spend all sorts of money at one time, especially if I don't know exactly how they'll be. If they turn out to be good, I'll probably replace the fluorescent fixtures in the attached garage also. There's 4 in that one. It's not normally heated but the reviews said they work at least down to 10 degrees no problem, and it never gets much below freezing in there, provided the doors are kept closed. Still, on the coldest nights, the fluorescent's may or may not turn on, especially the two near the outside wall. It has electric heat that was there when I bought the house, and I only turn it on if absolutely necessary. When it's on, the spinning disc in the electric meter almost exploded from centrifugal force, and all you hear is ca-ching, ca-ching, ca-chinge as the dollars ring up, LOL.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two different detached two-car garages. The wood framed garage only had three 75w rated bulbs located in center of garage.
Fixture b.png

I purchased two single-bulb LED fluorescent appearing fixtures (from Home Depot) – to see if I can light up that garage.
LED Fixture.png

These are linkable, so I hooked one up to one existing fixture (see above) and other lamp into the first LED, both in one corner of the shop. Turned on the lights and WOW. I now need to wear shades in that corner of the garage. You can feel the brightness, even with eyes closed. I need to go back and space them differently (currently too close together), then get more lamps for that garage (well, both garages).
At $35 (US) plus tax ($38.12 each) – it won’t be hard to add a dozen more into this garage. The other garage, cinderblock, will take a lot more lamps, so getting a couple at a time won’t hurt the budget too much.

The only thing I worry about, is the ceiling fans I have (and have yet to) installed. I can’t stand light flicker and having a fan above a light causes a lot of flicker.

The other thing I have plans of is to make a portable and flexible fixture using LED light strips to light up my work area. I just need to find the time and a method to do so. Currently, I have am old (and on last legs) fluorescent table lamp with a 15” bulb – but it has a small flicker to it and takes a while for it to get started (if it will start).
iu4OIE791G.jpg

il_fullxfull_381909750_h42l.jpg

Note: my other garage originally came with four 75w bulb fixtures (same type as top picture), and I’ve already added five 4-foot long dual-bulb fluorescent fixtures into it (twenty years ago) – and it is not enough. Also, it’s getting about time to change those bulbs, as well (sigh).
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of fluorescent lights but put them in because they did the job for not a ton of money. IIRC, they were $12 each, bulbs included, from Menard's back in 1998. Wasn't a whole lot of other options back then anyway. Fluorescent's, no matter what temperature bulbs you use, still is a cold light and even though you don't notice it, they flicker. Give's me eye strain and a headache.

Tracking shows the lights should be here when I get home tomorrow evening so I'll know how they work soon enough. What I like is, they can be mounted flush to the ceiling where the fluorescent's all said to hang by chains only and to not flush mount them, i.e. screw them directly to the ceiling. I assume it's to prevent them from overheating. Always hate when something says "DO NOT...……" or "ALWAYS...….." but doesn't say why.

I've always thought about running a strip LED tape light around the perimeter of the ceiling also for extra light near the walls and shelves. Better yet would be the electroluminescent tape. It can make good light and works seemingly like magic. Over at Kwik-Trip a couple blocks from my house, all the pump awnings are wrapped with electroluminescent lights about 2 feet wide I'd guess (in red) and it looks so cool at night. Only downside is it costs more than LED.

Actually what's really like magic is the electroluminescent paint. It's like "how the ef?"

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with fluorescent lights. I added them to my garage in 2002 (or so) and they were the most cost effective item, at that time.

On a semi-different note: the ’66-67 Chargers and (I think) ’64 Imperials did not use any light bulbs in dash, except for warning lights (brake, oil, etc.) and turn signals. The gauges and radio used (dimmable) electroluminescent lighting – which looked amazing at night.
iu2KXDK2VF.jpg

iu52NSZ4PB.jpg

Even the orange dials lit up.
Here are a couple pictures I stole from the internet. I have more pictures somewhere which are better quality, but at least you get the general idea.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
A friend of mine way back when, had a '66 Charger (with a big bad 318) and at night, those gauges looked awesome.

I seem to remember some Chrysler models and Imperial had electroluminescent clusters back in the late '50's or very early '60's already. The modern EL is far advanced from what was available 50 years ago but EL only SEEMS like a new invention.

The LED shop lights were waiting when I got home this afternoon. Mounting them to the ceiling will probably have to wait for the weekend but,,,,,,,,,,,I unpacked one and plugged it in. Holy you know what! I think they'll do the job just fine.:cool: Even brand new, the fluorescent lights weren't half as bright as the LED's, and they haven't improved with age either.

Last edited:

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Don't forget to see if your power Co.has a rebate for installing the LEDs, you never know until you ask, or look on line but I would ask.

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
I've been dragging my feet on this, but I've been wanting to convert to LEDs in the garage for quite some time. May just have to bite the bullet and get it done this year

Duke5A

Reaction score
I've got the 40" LED drop lights hanging in my garage and basement. Bought them from Home Depot for $40 a piece. They work pretty good and don't have to warm up in the winter. Really can't go wrong. You'll be pleased.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I think the fluorescent lights are pi$$ed off at me. It's like they know their time is short with the new guys in town. Went out there this evening and out of 15 fixtures, a grand total of 6 actually came on and of those 6, only 3 of them lit both tubes. It'd be fine if it was a 4-star restaurant with dim lighting for atmosphere but in a garage, it's not the atmosphere you're looking for.:p

Unfortunately the A/C is standing in solidarity with the lights and decided it doesn't want to work this year. Fan comes on, there's the click of the t-stat and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no compressor. It's supposed to be around 90 and humid this weekend which is why I turned it on. As long as I keep the doors shut, maybe it won't get too bad in there.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I feel your a/c pain.
My ac failed about 2 weeks ago.
I've fallen back to a window unit in each room until we decide on what's replacing the dead unit.
And it quits raining.
And we get through July 4th fireworks ... gotta have priorities at this time of year!

:D
JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
This is a Fedders through the wall unit, a.k.a. window unit. It's working now. Problem discovered was the owner is a dumbass. There's a switch with "high fan, low fan, low cool, high cool" and the plastic shaft is broken off. I had heated a small screwdriver and made a slot in it, so it can be switched a long time ago. At some point since last summer, I must have turned it to high fan but don't remember it. It's one of those "I wonder" things. Stuck the screwdriver in and turned it clockwise and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,click, hummmmmmmmmmmm, cold air. I really though it was shot, it's not exactly new. I bought it used in 1990 or '91 (unit was made in 1986) so I guess it's amazing that it works at all. Then again, it was still made in USA at the time. If it had been a made in China junk, it'd be long gone by now.

I may have my priorities backwards but don't have A/C in the house, only the back garage. The cool is nice but the main reason is to keep the humidity down out there, which reduces rust on tools, equipment,,,,,,,cars……………..Up here, A/C isn't a "must" like it is down by you in the Texas climate.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Only have gotten 3 of the fixtures mounted (the ones across the front of the garage) and,,,,,,,I think it's brighter in there already than it ever was before, even when all the fluorescent's were working. The LED's were money well spent.:cool:
One other advantage to LED is, they don't attract bugs to any extent. No UV or infrared light, and very little heat is the reason. At least that's what I've heard and read. At the end of my street is a sodium vapor street light and bugs swarm around it. Go over to Rib Mt. Drive where the street lights were recently replaced with LED when it was all redone a couple years ago and, you don't see any bugs around them, so there must be something to it.

Justwondering

Reaction score
LED lighting is on the agenda in the white barn at the estate.

Just as soon as the nephew finishes organizing the clutter.

ROTFLMAO

I'm not holding my breath.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I discovered one "down side" to the LED lights. Now I can see what a disaster area the garage is. Too much stuff, not enough places to put it all. The garage seemed so big when it was first built, and was empty. I swear, the building has shrunk over the past 21 years. It's the only explanation.
This is a pic with the 3 across the front changed. All 3 light witches are on so you can see, or not see, how many of the old fixtures don't work anymore. With the LED, I don't even need to turn the track lights over the workbench on now.
DSC00285.JPG
DSC00284.JPG

brotherGood

Reaction score
Just bought 4 from Harbor Freight for 20 bucks each..gotta finish swapping the axle so I can get the car out of the way and hang them.

volare 77

Reaction score
Lately I have been in the process of getting rid of stuff. My cluttered garages are a mess. I`m ok with the lighting I have right now but if I do change them it would be LED.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I really need to do that, go through the garage and ge either get rid of some accumulated stuff (toss, sell, give away) put other things up in the attic, etc. Still have my old MIG sitting there, taking up space until I decide how/where to dispose of it (it's a non MIG, it's passed on, it has ceased to be) for one. There's car parts on the shelves and in boxes on the floor that I have, and never will have, any use for. Oldpistons, rods, crank from the 440, chrome trans pan, stock pinion yoke, stock axle shafts, old driveshaft from the Aspen, cast iron w.p. housing, stock tin valve covers, a couple iron intakes, a junk Holley carb, old exhaust pipes from the Aspen,,,,,,,,,,,,I could go on and on,,,and on. Time to let it all go and move on, right? :)
Week after next I'm off work so, good time to stop thinking about it, and just do it and not look back.

Back