Left handed wheel studs

slant6billy

Reaction score
I was helping a friend with a 8 3/4 swap. They are sure heavy! Neither us wanted to throw out a back, so we were trying everything to keep it in the air and keep the diff yoke out out the asphault. I grabbed a set of ford steelies and threw 3 lugs on the one side and then tried the other. That was where I realized........ we needed the LEFTHANDED Nuts. Upon closer inspection those lefthand threads were chewed up from years of folks either forgetting what the "L" meant or just did not know.

I had these little plastic wafers that screwed onto the reversed studs in the meanwhile. A quick trip to the Autozone is in order for some "R" studs, since the nuts are righthand thread.

I wonder if some mopar freaks mismatched "R" and "L" on the same wheel to prevent wheel and tire theft........ because it would really mess with folks.

My friend was not aware of the mopar driverside thread direction on wheel studs before 1970....... he knows now.

Erics5th

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a 70 Fury with left hand threads.... Got many free ones when I took my tires in to be rotated and the tech hit them with an air gun. The 8 3/4 I have in my 5th had left hand lugs when I got it from my friend. I quickly changed them out to standard right hand studs.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
This is funny! My second car was a 69 coronet. I was putting new cragars on it, and when I tried to take off the drivers side, I snapped off 5 studs. I had an older neighbor who was enjoying the "show" and he came over and said," you know those are left hand threads?" I said ..what!? He said " yeah, thats what the "L" is on the end of the stud,hahaha. Oh..Thanks!

BHA43

Reaction score
Theory was (maybe fact) that the L threads on the L side would tend to tighten instead of loosen over time, I think 70 was the last year. Did back into at least the 50's!

lowbudget

Reaction score
My 67 Charger still has them. It won't when I'm done with it but then the front drums will be gone also. It freaked my roommate out when I took the wheels off of it to put on my Aspen.

76CinnamonRT

Reaction score
Yea I always change em to rights. Seems like it saves headaches at the wrong times lol

-Kenny

slant6billy

Reaction score
A friend of mine had a chevy wipe out the 7/16 studs down the track. He upgraded to a Dana60 and problem solved.

ramenth

Reaction score
My '69 Sport Satellite still has 'em. Gonna stay that way, too.

The '69 Super Bee and Road Runners on the hand...they'll go bye-bye.

Back