Lighting Oddity

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
So imagine you just pull into your driveway, you turn the car off, pull the key from the ignition, open the door and get out. You close the door behind you and the interior lamps go off. Now if you open one of the rear doors, the interior lamps go on, and if you close the door, the lights go off. If you open one of the front doors and close it, the interior lamps will stay on until; the battery goes dead, you get in and start the engine, or key ignition from Off to On then Off again. Any idea behind this quirky behavior? Is it by design or is there a malfunction of some kind?

Last edited:

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
What car?
My guess is that a "time delay" relay is hanging up........ some cars gave a time delay off relay which will keep the interior lights on for a predetermined amount of time.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The first thing I thought of was the time delay relay (before I read MirandaMegacab’s notes).

If you can let us know what year and model car – I can see if I can dig up some service manual information for you.

BudW

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
The first thing I thought of was the time delay relay (before I read MirandaMegacab’s notes).

If you can let us know what year and model car – I can see if I can dig up some service manual information for you.

BudW

It is an 85' Fifth Avenue. I do have the service manual for it (somewhere around here). When I first go the manual, I didn't read it cover to cover but was pretty thorough with it, didn't notice anything in the electrical section, but that's why I like it here, a 2nd pair of eyes is always better than 1 pair.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
LyonAdmiral,
You might want to put your car details in your signature – for it makes answering specific questions a lot easier.

I have a ’86 service manual at home (this should be the same) – so if I can find my book, I will pass the details onto you.

Back