1. WANT TO BE FEATURED IN OUR 2019 CALENDAR???
    For details, click here: Be Part of our 2019 Mopar Calendar
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting Oddity

Interior and Electrical

1. LyonAdmiral

LyonAdmiral Well-Known Member

So imagine you just pull into your driveway, you turn the car off, pull the key from the ignition, open the door and get out. You close the door behind you and the interior lamps go off. Now if you open one of the rear doors, the interior lamps go on, and if you close the door, the lights go off. If you open one of the front doors and close it, the interior lamps will stay on until; the battery goes dead, you get in and start the engine, or key ignition from Off to On then Off again. Any idea behind this quirky behavior? Is it by design or is there a malfunction of some kind?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. MiradaMegacab

MiradaMegacab Well-Known Member

What car?
    My guess is that a "time delay" relay is hanging up........ some cars gave a time delay off relay which will keep the interior lights on for a predetermined amount of time.

3. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

The first thing I thought of was the time delay relay (before I read MirandaMegacab’s notes).

If you can let us know what year and model car – I can see if I can dig up some service manual information for you.

BudW

4. LyonAdmiral

LyonAdmiral Well-Known Member

It is an 85' Fifth Avenue. I do have the service manual for it (somewhere around here). When I first go the manual, I didn't read it cover to cover but was pretty thorough with it, didn't notice anything in the electrical section, but that's why I like it here, a 2nd pair of eyes is always better than 1 pair.

5. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

LyonAdmiral,
    You might want to put your car details in your signature – for it makes answering specific questions a lot easier.

I have a ’86 service manual at home (this should be the same) – so if I can find my book, I will pass the details onto you.