Lighting Questions Before I Spend

JLN5thAve

Reaction score
Ok - I have been looking into retrofitting my Pearl, with LED lighting. Headlights, taillights, parking lights - everything.. I found these - and wanted to see if anyone has an opinion...

I know I need resistors for the turn signal bulbs, and was wondering if there was a way to use switchback LED DRL/Turn signals on both of the parking light sockets and have the two function as turn signals vs just the one? (Running white or amber when engine is running, and flashing for turn signals on activation) I would imagine some wiring would be required for the outside parking lamp to be converted.

As for LED lighting in the taillights (again, I know I need resisters) reverse, and opera lights, are there any suggestions or tricks anyone knows that might work for getting it going smoothly?

SouthBay

Reaction score
When I did my dash lights with LED I used superbrightleds.com. This was a couple years ago, but I was having a couple install issues and had questions. Called the customer support line. They were very helpful pointing me in the right direction.

Aspen500

Reaction score
There are some LED bulbs that have integrated resistors. You can go without any resistors if you use an electronic flasher. No idea on the white/amber thing. There's GOT to be a way though!

JLN5thAve

Reaction score
There might be a way to wire the white portion to the ignition - so that when it is on they are on, I am thinking that perhaps getting an extra set of the turn signal sockets for the outer parking light will be a good idea to make both blink verses just the one on the inside.

Hayzoos

Reaction score
The outer parking light is a T-10 style/type bulb with only two connections ground and power. It would not be as simple as swapping out the socket and a little rewiring. You would have to modify the housing to accept the socket for an 1157 bayonet style that has three connections ground, park circuit, turn circuit. I would probably enlarge the hole to pass an 1157 bulb through, then glue a piece cut from the back of another housing for an 1157 socket.

The side marker is tied into the parking and turn signal so it flashes opposite the front turn signal. It is also a T-10 size/style bulb. This can pose a challenge to convert to LED. You could make the same modification as the outer front and have it operate along with the front ones.

Electronic flashers are the way to go, they work with incandescent or LED or both in the same circuit. You can get them in different flash rates, silent or normal or loud click or even a different sound.

For DRL, I'd use relays and create a separate fused circuit with the ignition on as the relay trigger.

Camtron

Reaction score
There’s a guy I follow on Instagram that’s done a sequential tail light kit on his, Gran Fury. I don’t believe he’s on the forum but, I do know he used a basic kit from, United Pacific. Splices a couple “brain boxes” into the factory harness, uses LED bulbs, fairly simple with no real modification.
I’ll see if I can get him to do a write up; or maybe even join.
https://www.amazon.com/United-Pacif...t=&hvlocphy=9021744&hvtargid=pla-568782813086

edit: I just realized, in the reviews for that Amazon link, someone has posted a positive review with a brief clip of their, M body with new sequential blinker flashing

Last edited:

Duke5A

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of an LED headlight conversion myself. Already converted over everything in the interior and the tail lights.

The canisters are just eBay 4x6 H4 conversions I picked up. Paid $40 for four of them. The bulbs are from Super Bright LED and are 5k lumen a piece. I only got two of them and paid I think $80 for them. Bulbs from SBL are extremely high quality and I won't buy from anywhere else.

Nothing is installed yet as I ran out of good weather last year. Only hang up is with the high beam wiring as it is reversed from what the car is. High comes on with low, low comes on with high. Simple enough to fix.

This will be documents in a 2021 project thread whenever I get around to starting work for the season.

20210301_010906.jpg

20210301_010927.jpg

20210301_010951.jpg

20210301_010958.jpg

20210301_011027.jpg

20210301_011014.jpg

20201022_184117.jpg

20201022_184044.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Too bad the sequential light kit is made in China:(

I know it doesn't take much of a module for sequential. The factory ones on my '08 Mustang are just a tiny little circuit about the size of half a postage stamp in each t-light harness. Of course I have no idea if it would work with LED bulbs though. What I'm getting at is, maybe the harnesses could be salvaged from a wrecked Mustang and the correct sockets spliced on(?)

Camtron

Reaction score
I’ll let you guys know how the Chinese sequential lights come out. Kit should arrive Wednesday and I should have them in by the weekend.
I don’t see why the mustang harness/s wouldn’t work but, idk what their output is and if they’d work with the available LED lights for our cars; it’s more googling than I’m whiling to do anyway, lol.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked into the Mustang sequential taillights and considered finding a pair of broken Mustang taillights for that postage stamp size item to use. Most Mustangs use LED's which won't work (...I don't think). There is a couple year Mustangs that will work – but I can't remember which.

I purchased a pair of Fifth Ave taillights, and a spare harness (to cut into) many moons ago. The taillights were purchased in case I needed to perform major surgery to get a large number of LED's inserted (which is a lot more work than I want to do). Using the three-bulb system is more to my speed.
BudW

Back