lock up TQ

mopops

Reaction score
does 82 mirada 318 have a lockup TQ - and if so what controls it. engine computer is gone tks gjg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If it's still original yes. There might have been a way to order without but it would be extremely rare.
It's the transmission itself that controls lockup, nothing to do with the computer.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes the lockup can't be felt or otherwise perceived – but usually can be heard (from RPM's dropping). If you can feel it, it feels like 4th gear engaging.

By '82, most of all the dealership inventory came with lockups. A person could special order one without lockup – but that seldom happened.
The only good way to tell if your transmission has lockup (or not) is to get the transmission ID number (TIN) off of the pan rail and post here.

Note: you typically will need some cleaners and a paper towel (or two). Sometimes a wire brush is needed, as well.
TIN a.jpg

TIN b.jpg

The number in Red is the Transmission part number. The numbers in yellow is the build date and time.
A camera helps as well as light (to cast a shadow on numbers).

Note; if you get under the car, please use jack stands! We need to keep all of the members we can, in good health. That, and having a floor jack failure can result in you having a bad to very bad day.
BudW

Mr C

Reaction score
The lock up kicks in at @ 50 mph on my 318 2 bbl M Bodies...a little sooner on the Super six F Body.

As mentioned the rpms will drop...

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, anything mechanical can fail or break.
It is possible you do have lockup - but might not working (or working correctly).
BudW

Logan

Reaction score
does 82 mirada 318 have a lockup TQ - and if so what controls it. engine computer is gone tks gjg
My 1978 Chrysler LeBaron wagon has a lock up transmission that did not work for the first three years that I drove the car. While driving it one afternoon a horrible clunk and violent shuddering made me aware of its presence. I still haven’t done the necessary repairs to get it right. I do mostly town driving and when I need to go over 35 I manually shift from second into drive because otherwise it drops into lock up far too soon.

mopops

Reaction score
Sometimes the lockup can't be felt or otherwise perceived – but usually can be heard (from RPM's dropping). If you can feel it, it feels like 4th gear engaging.

By '82, most of all the dealership inventory came with lockups. A person could special order one without lockup – but that seldom happened.
The only good way to tell if your transmission has lockup (or not) is to get the transmission ID number (TIN) off of the pan rail and post here.

Note: you typically will need some cleaners and a paper towel (or two). Sometimes a wire brush is needed, as well.
View attachment 42684
View attachment 42685
The number in Red is the Transmission part number. The numbers in yellow is the build date and time.
A camera helps as well as light (to cast a shadow on numbers).

Note; if you get under the car, please use jack stands! We need to keep all of the members we can, in good health. That, and having a floor jack failure can result in you having a bad to very bad day.
BudW
K420?675x 7482 (? ) maybe 9 just can't make it out-has been rebuilt or replaced before i got it hope this helps tks geo

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the number is K4202675, and if so would be:
1981-82 rear wheel drive passenger car A999 w/lockup.
This one has the good first gear gearset in it.

The other numbers will tell you what day it was made on and the unit produced that day (so not that important).
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
In 1980, Chrysler started to phase in a different planetary gear set on the A904/A998/A999 (part of the A904 class) transmissions. 1982 (I think) all of the A998/A999's had the better first gear ratio,

The early (1960 to '81) A904 class gear ratios are:
First – 2.45:1
Second – 1:45:1
Reverse – 2.22:1

The 1980 and newer version of the A904 class ratios are:
First – 2.74:1
Second – 1.54:1
Reverse – 2.22:1 (the same).

Third gear (for both) is 1:1.
That small difference in ratio makes a hug difference on these cars at takeoff's.
BudW

mopops

Reaction score
whit 224 rear gears it needs all it can get, thats why i use a ford 8.8 tks Bud your always a help

Back