Locking Hubcaps Woe's

David Clark

Reaction score
So I was planning on taking the Tires (and wheels) off the 5th Ave today (will be a while before we can get her up and running) and putting them on the Aspen for now until we can get 4 new tires for her. Went out and Noticed. OH CRAP, Damn 5th Ave has locking wire hubcaps on them. And No Lock Key in the Vehicle Nowhere. Not in glove box, under seat, trunk, NOWHERE. And no way to grab the damn things with a pair of Vice Grips either. Waiting to hear back from the lady we got it from but it's doubtful she has the dang thing either.

Short of Cutting the damn things off with a torch, Is there any other way to get these things off without Damaging them. I'd like to get them off in one piece if possible to sell as a set because I sure the heck don't want them and they are in damn good shape, someone might want to buy them.

Aspen500

Reaction score
About the only way is to use a "turbo" socket. I assume the locks are recessed into the enter hole? If they stick out, you can cut a slot in them and use a large screwdriver.

This is what I mean by turbo socket if you didn't know already.

turbo socket.jpg

David Clark

Reaction score
Yeah, don't have one of those LOL. And yep, recessed a bit into the Hubcap. I might try the Cut a Slot in it trick and see how that goes. Wish me luck that I don't damage the dang hubcap LOL.
--- Post updated ---
Well, I got the Cursed Damn things off. I used my air Hammer and put it on the wittle screw bolt thingy and got them to spin enough to get a small tipped screw driver pounded into the pattern to spin them off, Ruined one hubcap though because the air hammer slipped on the first one. UGH.

Aspen500

Reaction score
One of the worst things to see at work is locking lug nuts (nothing has locking wheel covers anymore). Where's the key? Is it where it's supposed to be? If it isn't, where then? I really hate digging through peoples private stuff to find their darn lugnut key. Don't want to know what I've seen while searching, lol! I do know there's many brands of tampons though! A few years ago I ran across a young girls um,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,,self love devices in the spare tire well along with the lugnut key. Is it in the glove box, center console, door pocket, in the trunk somewhere, or none of the above? Sigh.............................They're kind of a waste anyways. Wheel and tire theft is pretty much a non-problem around here for the most part.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Wheel locks have burned me too many times. I have not used them in 15 years. I go and buy regular lugs to replace any lock lugs. Also, a little used motor oil to chase the lug thread. Never put anti-seize on the threads, but a little on the face of the hub where the rim holes rest will help with the metal fusing together and fighting you on the darkest coldest night changing a tire. My budy with the Nissan Xterra ( Valve cover replacement video on my You tube channel) just got boned a few Mondays ago. He went to leave for work at 5:30 am and the Xterra had a flat. Still dark out and rain coming down. To top it off- LOCK Lug and no key. His wife had to drive him into work at that point. In fact I had to slim the tire until he gets a sacrificial 15 mm socket to get the stupid thing off. I'm all out of sacrificial sockets in 15 mm

David Clark

Reaction score
I have never nor will I ever using Locking Lug Nuts, for the simple fact that the Keys can get lost.

These weren't lug nuts though, they were the damn Locking HUB Caps on the 5th Avenue LOL. I got them off though, Thanks for the all input.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my lock wrench.
It is "orange", but hard to tell by faded decal.
Chrysler had a few different locks, color coded: Blue, Black, Red and Orange, are ones I remember.

I hadn’t seen a published part number for the locking bolts or wrenches.
I recommend cutting a slot in them with a dremel and unscrewing with a screwdriver. If going back with them, use a standard bolt.

In the day, these were popular to be stolen (not sure why). Now days, you can’t give away hubcaps or 15" tires.

Speaking of which, I plan on keeping my wire hubcaps for the time being (it goes with my sleeper look). If you have any wire hubcap or hubcap parts, send me a picture to see if I might want what you have. Mine have a bit of curb rash (um . . . the last owner did it, yea, that’s the story I’ll stick with).
A few years ago I ran across a young girls um,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,,self love devices in the spare tire well along with the lugnut key.
I can’t say I’ve seen one of those in the trunk - but I have seen a lot of weird things (devil worship bible and related materials, a box of broken machine gun parts (or I think were broken), Clown outfits mixed in what could be prostitute or S&M outfits (not sure I want to know), bags of money, and list goes on. No way I was going to touch the money (possible drug and/or political $) - for I want to stick around a lot more years - not saying the other items were not as bad.

Locking lug nuts/hub cap keys need a retractable cord attached to them - so you can always find them. I put mine under the black spare tire cover, so I will always know where its at.

20160502_001027.jpg

David Clark

Reaction score
These are the ones I have, I have all 4, One of them I just ended up cutting the locking bolt out of because the damn air hammer slipped. I've got the 4 Adapters that mount to the Rims too that support the Hubcap in the center and where the Locking bolt screws into, but only have two of the Center Caps. the other one pictured has some center damage to it also from me trying to pull it off before realizing the damn things had the locking bolts on them. Probably not worth much now LOL. Oh well.
Pretty Dirty but otherwise they look good. This one has the Center Damage from trying to take it off before realizing they had the Locking Bolts on them.
IMG_2382.JPG

This is the one that I just ended up cutting off because the damn air hammer slipped.
IMG_2384.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
What we used to do on Crown Vics and other cars with wire wheel covers with locks was use regular bolts to secure them once the key got lost, the locks got slopped out where the key wouldn't grab anymore, or the customer didn't want the locks for the reason you just went through, etc. They won't really stay on just by the clips because they way 100 FREAKING POUNDS EACH..........:D

Back